A partner in Kennedys’ Melbourne office, Chris has been assisting clients to solve workplace relations problems for nearly 30 years.
He has extensive experience across all Australian jurisdictions. He has litigated in State courts and tribunals, and deals regularly with matters in the Federal Court and the Federal Circuit Court.
His clients include large ASX-listed companies and SME's, State, Federal and Territory governments, local councils and public-owned entities. He also acts for individuals, typically senior management. His practice, both litigious and non-litigious, includes employment law, discrimination law, sexual harassment, bullying, industrial relations, work, health and safety, directors’ liability and protection of confidential information.
Chris has post-graduate qualifications in law (LLM) and management (MBA) and regularly presents at industry and legal seminars. He is accredited by the Law Institute of Victoria as a specialist in workplace relations and is also a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
Chris is a member of the Commercial Law and Regulatory Studies (CLARS) Advisory Board, Faculty of Law, Monash University. He is a regular contributor to the Employment Law Bulletin and Law Institute Journal and was a speaker at Monash University’s Conference in Prato, Italy, in 2012 on Business Innovation and the Law.
- Recommended Lawyer for 'Dispute Resolution: Litigation (Australia)'
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021
- Listed in Doyle’s Guide to Melbourne’s Leading Employment and Industrial Relations Lawyers for 2016 and 2017
- Law Institute’s President's Award for contribution to the Institute’s specialisation scheme, 2009
- Law Institute’s Rogers Legal Writing Award for the best contribution to the Institute’s Journal,2015.
- Successfully defended proceedings brought against the State Emergency Service in the Supreme Court alleging breaches of natural justice and improper purpose.
- Acted for major building contractor Hansen Yuncken in a health and safety prosecution arising from an on-site fatality.
- Successfully defended a prosecution against a mine manager arising from a mining fatality in Tasmania.
- Acted for Victorian Government in major industrial relations case setting employment standards across Victorian public service.
- Active involvement in many sexual harassment and discrimination cases in State tribunals and Federal Courts.