Meiling leads the Kennedys Liability Defence Team in Hong Kong. She joined Kennedys in 2008 after 12 years’ experience in major international law firms. She qualified in Hong Kong (1998) and England and Wales (1999).
Meiling represents insurers, employers and corporations in all types of personal injury and casualty claims. She specialises in employees’ compensation, employers’ and public liability matters with a particular focus on construction related accidents, large or sensitive losses and policy disputes. This includes multiple claimant incidents, catastrophic injuries, high profile sporting accidents, school liability, complicated triple insurance issues as well as various property damage claims.
Meiling also manages voluminous injury claims with a particular emphasis on IT solutions for claims management.
She is the author of Kennedys’ e-bulletins on personal injury law and regularly holds seminars to share her thought leadership on these issues. She has been noted in Legal 500 Asia Pacific as a leader in this practice area.
Meiling also contributed to the fourth edition of Kennedys’ Global Legal Handbook, one of our most popular guides, which outlines the main legal and procedural issues that case handlers may encounter when dealing with claims across 53 jurisdictions globally.
She also contributed to the Claims inflation and personal injury claims: a global review report, published in June 2023.
Why is it important we celebrate International Women's Day? - International Women's Day 2022
- Ranked in Tier 1 for ‘Insurance (Hong Kong)’ practice by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023
"Meiling Yip is a key contact for personal injury and casualty claims"
- Ranked in Tier 1 for ‘Insurance (Hong Kong)’ practice by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022
- Ranked in Tier 4 for ‘Dispute Resolution: Litigation (Hong Kong)’ practice by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022
"Christine Tsang, Sandy Cho and Meiling Yip all share the same understated but serious and mature dedication to their cases. They are all excellent lawyers and team leaders who insist on excellence"
- Meiling Yip is named as a Recommended Lawyer for 'Insurance (Hong Kong)'
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020
- “She gives very clear legal advice which is good for our company. It only takes a short time to settle the claim.”
Gracechurch APAC Report 2017
- Meiling Yip is listed as Recommended Individual for Insurance and client quotes that she is “good at providing support in casualty cases.”
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Advising and acting for a hotel group in a HK$300m+ injury claim involving jurisdictional issues, conflict of laws and complex quantum arguments.
- Acting for a well-known shopping mall and their insurers in a toxic fume catastrophic injury action involving contribution and third party claims.
- Handling a large portfolio of work injury, motor accident and other third party claims from commencement to trial.
- Advising insurers and several of the largest employers in Hong Kong on all aspect of employees’ compensation issues, Labour Department procedures and occupational safety and health matters.
- Advising insurers on coverage issues including double and triple insurance and subrogated recovery.
- Being instructed by leading insurers to conduct high level reviews of claims reserves and problematic cases including reviewing the work and advice of other law firms.
- Managing a large volume of employees’ compensation and employers’ liability claims arising from major infrastructure projects in Hong Kong. Delivering a fast and cost effective service to meet key performance targets.
- Settling a high profile sports injury case involving severe spinal injury on favourable terms just before trial where the claimant had pleaded around HK$170m. This would have become a test case on duty of care of sporting organisations in arranging overseas tours.
- Managing and successfully settling at mediation a tetraplegic injury case pleaded around HK$70m where a young student suffered a life-changing injury during a school activity. Sensitive handling was needed to protect insured’s reputation.
- Acting for a well-known members club in a high profile drowning accident. Assisting the club to handle police investigations, media interest and coroner’s inquest.