Our team of expert abuse lawyers have been trained in the importance of handling cases in the most sensitive manner. We have unrivalled global expertise advising and representing insurers, charities, public sector organisations and individuals in this rapidly changing area of law.
In the UK, the landmark House of Lords decision eroding limitation arguments, and recent high-profile enquiries and prosecutions relating to historic abuse and neglect, have increased public awareness of claims. This has created unprecedented challenges for all stakeholders involved in this sensitive area of work.
Whilst all concerned wish to see victims of abuse properly and speedily compensated, there are a number of important aspects of claims that need to be carefully investigated. These involve questions of law, practice, reputation and claims validation.
When abuse claims are brought against clients, the litigation process can be extremely stressful and harrowing for those involved. Our highly specialised team of lawyers successfully manages reputational risks for clients who have been exposed to allegations and claims of abuse and neglect, often involving emotional/physical and sexual abuse.
Our team works closely and discreetly with clients to ensure they are appropriately, calmly and carefully guided through the process. Claims are thoroughly investigated to deliver the most appropriate, timely and cost effective outcome for clients.
- Advising on, and defending where appropriate, allegations of vicarious liability and negligence
- Advising on issues of data protection to include SAR’s
- Advising on, and obtaining, contributions from third parties including perpetrators of abuse
- Sensitive liaisons with third parties (including CPS, police and criminal solicitors)
- Advising on Deprivation of Liberty issues and other alleged breaches of human rights
- Advising on risk management in respect of floodgate claims
- Reputational risk management, crisis management and media advice
- Acting for high-profile individuals
- Advising on, and contesting where appropriate, limitation issues
- Scrutinising psychiatric elements of abuse claims and engaging with suitable experts
- Safeguarding advice
- Handling group litigation
- Coverage advice – public liability and employers’ liability
- Undertaking insurance archaeology
- Drafting and managing compensation redress schemes.
We provide clear and straightforward legal advice to:
- Large self-insured organisations
- Composite insurers
- Local government entities
- UK NHS trusts/Department of Health
- Private care homes
- Youth organisations
- Sporting bodies
- Churches and faith establishments