- Successfully secured summary judgments and favorable settlements in numerous complex personal injury and construction defect lawsuits, extricating clients from costly protracted litigation.
- Secured summary judgment dismissing the complaint against a roofing contractor in a case involving a fall through a warehouse roof resulting in permanent injuries that required a life care plan. Successfully argued that the indemnification agreement contained in the contract between the plaintiff’s employer and the property owner was unenforceable under New Jersey law, provisions requiring compliance with “all applicable laws and standards” were too broad to be enforced, all common law claims were barred, and implied indemnity claims were without merit.
- Successfully settled a construction site accident case involving a fall from a ladder prior to trial. Located a non-party witness who admitted to erecting the ladder in question and secured contribution pursuant to another policy under which the general contractor client may have been an additional insured.
- Secured summary judgment dismissing the Complaint against a property owner and developer in a case of serious personal injuries sustained by a worker due to alleged hazards on the work site. Successfully argued that no duty of care was owed to plaintiff.
- Successfully settled a case with no contribution paid on behalf of a general contractor on a multi-trade construction project involving demolition followed by work of several trades including plaintiff’s employer. Plaintiff fell through demolition debris while traversing the debris to get to an entryway that was not cordoned off.
- Successfully settled a multi-party case at mediation on behalf of a condominium board and its property manager in federal court involving allegations of Legionnaire’s disease and mold related injuries.
- Successfully settled numerous construction defect lawsuits against contractors following attendance at site inspections and depositions.
- Successfully defended an excess insurer against an appeal in the New York Supreme Court, First Department. The Court held that the excess insurer’s disclaimer of coverage was proper where the parties seeking additional insured coverage had not entered into a direct contract with the named insured.
- Successfully prosecuted and defended numerous declaratory judgment actions and appeals on behalf of insurers.
- New Jersey
- New York
- US District Court, Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- US District Court, New Jersey
- US Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- Hofstra University School of Law, JD (with honors), 1993
- University of Richmond, BA (cum laude), 1990
Teresa is a Partner in the firm’s Basking Ridge office. She has over 25 years of experience focused on state and federal court litigation and insurance counseling and has been with the firm since 2007.
Teresa has a strong track record successfully defending a wide array of property owners, property and construction managers, developers, general contractors and subcontractors in all types of general liability defense cases and construction defect cases. Teresa has also successfully defended attorneys and other professionals against claims of malpractice and has successfully prosecuted and defended numerous insurance coverage actions and appeals. Teresa’s extensive experience as both an insurance defense and coverage attorney affords her an advantage in knowing how to transfer risk from defense clients and their insureds whenever possible.
A zealous advocate in the courtroom, Teresa is also a formidable negotiator at mediations. Recently, Teresa also completed in a secondment for an international insurer where she evaluated problematic general liability claims, directed defense counsel throughout the United States, and secured favorable settlements through negotiations, including during mediations and trials.
Teresa has published several professional articles in the New Jersey Law Journal and other publications. She lectures on a diverse range of legal issues. Working pro bono, Teresa has successfully represented victims of domestic violence and their children.
Teresa graduated with honors from Hofstra University School of Law where she served as both a Staff Member and Editor of the Hofstra Law Review and received the Property Law Award for her graduating class.