Clara is an Of Counsel in Kennedys Corporate & Commercial Team in Hong Kong. She specialises in corporate and commercial, employment and corporate insurance. She qualified in Hong Kong in 2012.
Clara is experienced in advising on matters relating to the sale and purchase of companies and businesses, joint venture/shareholder agreements, general commercial agreements and insurance regulatory and compliance issues. Her clients span across the insurance, legal, banking and finance, recruitment, lifestyle, retail, fitness and travel sectors.
She also advises employers and employees on all aspects of the employment relationship from engagement to termination.
Corporate and Commercial
- Acting for an international life insurer on the acquisition of a Hong Kong authorised insurer incorporated in the Isle of Man, including assisting with obtaining the necessary regulatory and court approvals.
- Advising one of the bidders (a large private equity and venture capital firm) in relation to the acquisition of a majority stake in McDonalds’ Hong Kong and Mainland China franchise operations including due diligence into the Hong Kong business.
- Acting for a management buyout team on its acquisition of an airport concierge service in Hong Kong.
- Advising the shareholders of a Hong Kong based managing general agent specialising in yachts, super yachts and commercial craft on its sale.
- Advising Australian and New Zealand-based business partners on the establishment of a joint venture company in Hong Kong and several subsequent transactions to assist with the restructuring of the corporate group.
- Acting for an international insurance brokerage firm with respect to its purchase of a minority stake in a Hong Kong licensed insurance broker.
- Drafting and reviewing contracts of employment, restrictive covenants, employee handbooks and other employment related documents for employers.
- Advising on employment terms and conditions, employee benefits and incentives, exit strategy, redundancies, enforceability of post termination restrictions, discrimination and harassment.
- Preparing and submitting Hong Kong visa applications.
- Advising on immigration related issues, including breach of conditions of stay, employment of illegal workers and employer liability under the Immigration Ordinance.
- Advising employers on dealing with investigations/interviews with the Immigration Department.
- Secondments to the legal department of two major insurers in Hong Kong, including drafting and advising on business contracts, advising on proposed business models and providing general legal and compliance advice to management and business.
- Advising insurers and insurance intermediaries on insurance regulatory, compliance and licensing issues including insurer authorisation, change of controllers, portfolio transfers of long term and general insurance business, referral arrangements, outsourcing, licensing applications for insurance intermediaries and the regulated activity regime for insurance intermediaries.