- Drafted a brief in opposition to a petition for writ of certiorari filed in the Supreme Court of the United States, resulting in denial of the petition. Baloni v. Ranger American of the V.I., Inc., 70 V.I. 1048 (V.I. 2019), cert. denied sub nom. Ranger Am. v. Balboni,__ S.Ct. __, 2019 WL 6689676 (Mem) (U.S. Dec. 9, 2019).
- Successfully drafted and argued an appeal before the Supreme Court of the Virgin Islands which ultimately resulted in an opinion deeming a non-economic damages cap unconstitutional and in violation of the Equal Protection Clause.
- Granted a post-summary judgment, judgment on the pleadings, in Miami-Dade’s Complex Business Division, in a multi-million-dollar shareholder derivative action brought by a co-manager of an LLC, which sought damages for among other things: breaches of contract and fiduciary duties; and tortious interferences with contract and business relationships.
- Successfully resolved a dispute in Miami-Dade’s Complex Business Division involving an umbrella holding company of group medical practices suing a multi-billion dollar healthcare enterprise seeking damages for among other things: breaches of contract and fiduciary duties; tortious interferences with contract and business relationship; FDUTPA violations; and conspiracy.
- Successfully represented homeowners’ association in a federal multi-million dollar dispute against a property manager in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida.
- Granted affirmance by the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit in a 2-1 ruling involving forum non conveniens concerns of international clients.
- Drafted and assisted in drafting numerous briefs currently pending before the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit and Florida’s Third District Court of Appeal.
- Assisted in drafting brief for appellee which resulted in affirmance before the District of Colombia Court of Appeals.
- US Virgin Islands
- US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- US District Court for the Virgin Islands
- US Supreme Court
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, JD, 2015
- Boston College, BA, 2012
Justin King is from the US Virgin Islands and his international practice focuses primarily on complex commercial litigation, appellate practice, general liability, insurance defense, and coverage litigation throughout the United States and the greater Caribbean. He has a multitude of experience in: business torts, contract disputes, shareholder derivative actions, personal injury matters, commercial landlord-tenant litigation, and construction litigation. Justin is also a recognized appellate practitioner, having previously submitted briefs to the Supreme Court of the United States and other federal and state courts of appeal. He is currently representing a large segment of the London Market for suits filed in the Virgin Islands.
Justin served as an appellate law clerk to the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the US Virgin Islands. During law school, he was a judicial intern to then Chief Judge Gregory M. Sleet, US District Court for the District of Delaware, and interned at the New Jersey Public Defender's office.
Justin is a frequent presenter for the Virgin Islands Bar Association and speaks regularly at industry events throughout the world on legal and economic trends in the United States and the greater Caribbean.