- Acting for a multi-national insurer on long-term insurance distribution arrangements with a high-street bank for access to the bank’s five million customers.
- Advising a UK mutual insurer on a novel individual cyber protection insurance product, including policy wording, reinsurance and claims fulfilment arrangements with a cyber services provider.
- Delivering a review of legacy life insurance products for a major global banking group to support compliance with the FCA’s requirements for fair treatment of legacy customers.
- Advising a UK insurer on a major strategic project to migrate its investment platform business to new technology, including customer documentation and notifications relating to the migration of over 400,000 customers.
- Advising on deal-critical regulatory issues for a reinsurer on a £3bn pension fund longevity swap transaction and an insurer on £0.9bn and £1.4bn longevity transactions.
- Creating and implementing a large-scale, cost-effective process for several investment platforms for agreeing regulatory amendments with the counterparties of hundreds of investment distribution agreements.
Tobin Ashby is a partner in the Commercial Division in our London office, specialising in insurance retail investments and commercial matters. He qualified in England and Wales in 1999 and has over 18 years’ experience in financial services, including spending 10 years working in-house for a global insurance group.
Tobin has extensive experience of advising insurers, intermediaries, brokers, mutuals, investment platform providers, FinTechs, banks, employee benefit consultants, fund managers and SIPP providers on their products and services, regulatory issues, all types of distribution and commercial arrangements and strategic transformation projects. He has a particularly good understanding of clients’ business requirements from his time as a senior in-house lawyer, which he uses to provide focused and pragmatic advice and solutions.
Tobin is a regular speaker at conferences and events on insurance and investment matters, including Brexit, and is a member of the Distribution Practice Group and the Wealth Management Steering Committee of the Investment and Life Assurance Group (ILAG).
- Qualified in England and Wales in 1999.