Matthew is a partner in Kennedys’ London office, specialising in corporate and commercial work. He qualified in England and Wales in 2006, and has over 15 years’ experience in the field.
Matthew acts for companies, individuals and not for profits advising them on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, corporate governance, solvent restructurings and fund raising.
In addition to his corporate practice, Matthew regularly advises clients on all aspects of their commercial affairs including terms of trading, supply agreements, software and intellectual property licences.
Matthew is UK author and global editor of the Chambers and Partners Joint Ventures guide.
Qualifications and admissions
- Qualified in England & Wales in 2006
- LLB Law, Queen Mary & Westfield, University of London
“He is the go-to solicitor for our board of directors for commercial law matters as they regard his work, his professionalism and amiability as excellent”.
Head of Risk & Compliance, leading insurance intermediary
“Matthew’s approach is reassuringly impressive. Through his calm and considered demeanour he concentrates on those areas of most importance, demonstrates clear commercial acumen specific to the issue in question, and works with all parties to achieve the requisite result”.
Head of corporate and partner, Legal 500 firm
- Advising on the sale of a civil engineering, environmental and ground control business to an institutional purchaser, consideration in excess of £20m.
- Acting jointly with our colleagues in the US on the acquisition of a global freight forwarding business with operations in the USA, Europe and APAC, consideration of around $40m.
- Acting on the sale of a specialist loss adjuster to an institutional purchaser, consideration of around £10m. The transaction also involved the creation of a specialist MGA owned between buyer and sellers.
- Acting on various transactions on the buy and sell side (both in terms of share and asset sales) with consideration between £2 - £10m.
- Acting for both target and investor in various early and mid-stage investment rounds.
- Advising on restructures for various companies involving share buy backs, share for share exchanges, capital reductions, allotments, consolidations, subdivisions and debt for equity swaps.
- Providing corporate governance advice to the boards of several large companies, insurers, mutuals and financial institutions.
- Authoring the Chambers & Partners guide to Joint Ventures in the United Kingdom and editing the global guide.