Charles qualified in England and Wales in 1985. He is a partner and leading defendant personal injury practitioner based in our London office, acting for clients handling all aspects of employers’, product and public liability, local authority and motor claims.
Charles represents insurers, brokers, liability adjusters, local authorities and corporate clients.
He has particular specialism in catastrophic personal injury claims involving accidents of the utmost severity, including spinal cord and traumatic brain injuries and the inter-relationship between organic and psychological causes of brain injury-related symptomology.
Charles also has experience in jurisdiction and overseas accidents, defense of health and safety (HSE) prosecutions, work-related stress, abuse and Human Rights Act related claims, chronic pain disorders and complex regional pain syndrome, road traffic accidents, sports accidents, construction, manufacturing and retail-related claims.
He regularly provides seminars on a diverse range of subjects including procedure, brain injury claims and secondary victim claims. He is an author of Kennedys’ Claims Handling Law and Practice Guide, the fourth edition of which was published in February 2021, and is editor of Kennedys’ Guide to Catastrophic Claims.
Charles is a member of Forum of Insurance Lawyers (FOIL).
- Qualified in England and Wales in 1985.
- Nominated by respondents for delivering outstanding service in the last 12 months
The Gracechurch London Market Insurance Law Monitor 2023
- Recommended lawyer for 'Personal injury: defendant (London)'
"Other key contacts include highly regarded catastrophic injury lawyer Charles Martin."
The Legal 500 UK 2022
- Recommended lawyer for 'Personal injury: Defendant (London)'
The Legal 500 UK 2021
- “He has got a very good claims knowledge. He is excellent on the claims with me. He is always prompt with advice. He is easy to deal with.”
The Gracechurch London Market Insurance Law Report 2019
- Recommended Lawyer for 'Personal injury: defendant (London)'
'Charles Martin is a highly experienced and robust litigator who is prepared to take matters to trial to secure the best outcome for the client and protect its reputation in the sector.'
The Legal 500 UK 2019/20
- Charles has been described as: “…a brilliant lawyer. Technically very competent, he knows his stuff and is courteous and polite at all times. He has the economics of insurers in his mind. He is commercially sound,” and “…the relationship we have, trust, competence, responsiveness, he is most effective, pragmatic and approachable”.
The Gracechurch London Market Insurance Law Report 2016
- A claim by an infant claimant hit by a falling tree, causing brain injury and neurological deficit. This was a complex case due to issues regarding the policy limit of indemnity and periodical payments.
- Green v Sunset & Vine Productions Ltd and others  CA. A claimant was injured while racing at a Goodwood Revival Meeting when his car hit a trackside camera. Charles successfully defended the defendant at first instance trial and at appeal when it was held that the defendant’s actions did not play a causative part in the accident.
- A Claimant in a fatal accident was injured in lift at health club. Charles represented the health club at a health and safety trial and dealt with dependents claim.
- A Claimant in sustained brain damage while participating in a work team building event at the Olympic white water centre. Charles represented the owners and occupiers. The claim settled at joint settlement meeting (JSM).
- Department for Transport v Matt McDonald Ltd . Charles represented the defendants in a leading case dealing with the duty to maintain highways.