- Presenter, “Claims Handling, Coverage, Bad Faith and an Insured’s Bankruptcy in High Exposure/Multiple Claimant Claims,” ABA TIPS Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee Conference, Phoenix, AZ, February 21, 2020
- Co-Presenter, “U.S. Risks Challenging the London Market: The Opioid Epidemic, #MeToo, and Our Expectations for 2019,” London Seminar, London, UK, October 29, 2018
- Presenter, “Emerging Trends & New Challenges in the D&O and Professional Liability Worlds,” ABA TIPS Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee Conference, Phoenix, AZ, February 22, 2018
- Presenter, “Insurance Coverage & Extra-Contractual Disputes,” American Conference Institute, November 30, 2016
- Presenter, “The Insurer’s Duty to Settle, Bad Faith, and Verdicts in Excess of Policy Limits,” Strafford CLE, January 7, 2015
- Panelist, “The Ins and Outs of Interpreting and Applying D&O and E&O Policy Exclusions,” American Bar Association’s 22nd Annual Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee Midyear Program, February 21, 2014
- “Lessons Learned: D&O Coverage for Appraisal Litigation Claims” (Co-Author), Tort Trial and Insurance Practice, Winter 2019 Newsletter
- Quoted in “Shooting Case Will Test Bounds of ‘Accident’ Coverage,” Law360, July 17, 2018
- Author, “Focus: Supreme Court Ruling will Transform Minimum Wage Liability Landscape, ” Insurance Day, July 2, 2018
- Quoted in “The Five Biggest Insurance Decisions of 2017,” Law360, December 8, 2017
- Quoted in “Ruling Won’t Lower Bar to Prove Bad Faith,” Law360, September 28, 2017
- Quoted in “The Biggest Insurance Rulings of 2017: Midyear Report,” Law360, June 16, 2017
- Quoted in “ ‘Trigger’ Ruling Eases Path To Toxic Cleanup Coverage,” Law360, April 24, 2017
- Quoted in “Justices Muddy Waters on Insurer Unfairness Suits,” Law360, February 3, 2016
- Co-Author, “No Excess Insurance Drop Down When Primary Goes Belly Up,” Law360, January 13, 2016
- Co-Author, “Heinz v. Starr Raises Nuanced Policy Rescission Questions,” Law360, December 4, 2015
- Co-Author, “Ridesharing Presents Challenges and Opportunities for Insurers,” PropertyCasualty360, October 21, 2014
- Chapter Co-Author, “DRI Coverage B: Personal and Advertising Injury Compendium,” May 20, 2014
- District of Columbia
- US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- US District Court for Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Pennsylvania
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, JD (magna cum laude), 1998
- Dartmouth College, BA, 1993
Lou is a partner in the Philadelphia office and an experienced lawyer representing insurance industry clients in insurance coverage, extra-contractual exposure and regulatory litigation and counselling engagements throughout the United States.
Lou has over two decades of experience in the insurance sphere, including three years as Chief Litigation Counsel at a domestic P&C insurer. Since his return to private practice in 2012, Lou has represented US and international insurance companies in coverage matters involving a wide range of coverages and issues, including general liability, E&O and professional liability, D&O, pollution liability, commercial property and marine insurance and construction defect, toxic tort, catastrophic loss and policy rescission claims. Lou draws from this deep and diverse experience to deliver effective advocacy and pragmatic counselling to his clients.
As an experienced trial court and appellate litigator, Lou also represents clients in commercial and environmental litigation matters in courts throughout the US.
Lou is a frequent author and speaker industry conferences providing thought leadership on emerging and important insurance coverage issues, as well as at seminars for clients in the US and London Market to counsel them in all aspects of insurance law, such as emerging risks, recent developments in the law and avoiding bad faith exposure. Lou was also a key member of an insurance coverage practice recognized by Chambers USA.