- Briefed summary judgment motions in declaratory judgment action involving underlying asbestos bodily injury claims that resulted in a favorable settlement on behalf of client (issues included choice of law; trigger and allocation; exhaustion of underlying policy limits; and impact of policy provisions and exclusions, including non-cumulation provisions).
- Obtained dismissal of bad faith claims asserted against insurance company client in case involving storm-related property damage claim.
- Won dismissal of a lawsuit seeking insurance coverage for reputational damages allegedly sustained by certain supermodels.
- Reached favorable settlement on behalf of client in $10M construction accident dispute.
- Obtained, as incoming counsel making a motion for reargument, a 78% reduction of an earlier judgment entered against client.
- Prevailed on summary judgment motion made on behalf of insurer resulting from policyholder’s failure to comply with policy conditions.
- Successfully represented an insurer at the Phase I trial in a $300 million insurance coverage action involving an industrial talc manufacturer.
- Briefed, argued, and defeated policyholder’s motion seeking a temporary injunction to restrain insurance company client from reducing its contribution of defense costs.
- Briefed, argued and won appeal in which the appellate court held that insurance company client was not estopped from disclaiming coverage despite defending its policyholder for nearly four years.
- Obtained dismissal of a lawsuit seeking coverage for a business interruption claim in which the policyholder sought reformation of the policy and other relief.
- Briefed, argued and won motion for summary judgment on the ground that policy exclusions barred coverage for a loss tendered under a commercial property policy.
- New York
- US Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- US District Court, Northern, Eastern, Southern and Western Districts of New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- US Supreme Court
- St. John's University School of Law, JD, 2005
- Columbia University, MS, 1999
- The Johns Hopkins University, BA, 1998
Doug is a Partner in the New York office who has successfully represented insurers in numerous actions in state and federal courts across the United States.
Doug has briefed and argued motions and appeals in multiple jurisdictions and has considerable experience representing insurers in a wide array of insurance coverage disputes. He has advised clients regarding environmental, toxic tort, asbestos, construction defect, construction accident, additional insured, bad faith, products, property, business interruption, cyber, technology, and climate change claims. Doug has experience with many different complex insurance issues including trigger and allocation, exhaustion, the duty to defend, the duty to indemnify, settlement obligations, late notice, rescission, reformation, policy conditions and exclusions, bad faith and extra-contractual liability.
Doug has also represented parties in reinsurance disputes regarding quota share and excess of loss treaties, facultative certificates, and retrocession agreements.