Tom is a partner in our Sheffield Office, managing a team that deals primarily with litigated claims and offers pre–litigation advice on high value complex matters. Tom qualified in England and Wales in 1995 and has been a partner at Kennedys since 2013. He acts for clients handling all aspects of employers’, product and public liability, contractors, local authority and motor claims.
Tom has developed a client base including insurers, brokers, corporates, local authorities and police authorities.
He has particular specialism complex and catastrophic personal injury claims, as well as group actions. He has specialism in spinal cord and traumatic brain injuries.
He has considerable experience of Human Rights Act related claims, complex regional pain syndrome and psychiatric claims.
- Qualified in England and Wales in 1995
- The Legal 500 UK 2016 describe Tom as “extremely capable” and he is ranked as a Recommended lawyer for Personal injury (defendant).
- Tom is a member of FOIL.
- Successfully settled a £3m employer’s liability case, traumatic brain injury with issues on liability and capacity at JSM at £1.2M with successful rehabilitation
- Pre action settlement of a traumatic brain injury claim following successful road mapping under the Serious Injuries Guide of an employer’s liability claim.
- Settled a £4m – minimum conscious state claim following an RTA negotiating a deduction for liability and state funding – Settled at £750,000.
- Negotiating a £3m employer liability claim spinal injury involving a fall from a ladder at 30 feet and rehabilitation management – settled at £1.5M
- Managing a claim involving a 12 year old claimant suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome and the relationship with a specific trauma. Effects on education and future work capability. Reserved over £1m. Settled pre- action.
- Negotiated a high profile fatality with press interest to a successful conclusion following a JSM.
- Dealing with claims brought under the Human Rights Act by a family and estate involved in a multiple shooting – mediation
- Negotiating a chronic pain case with issues of fundamental dishonesty to settlement
- Successful at trial defending a discrimination claim brought against the police.
- Negotiated the discontinuance of a group action claim brought against the police