- Seton Hall University, JD, magna cum laude, 2011
- Colgate University, BA, 2006
Laura Dowgin is a partner in the New York office. She is a seasoned insurance coverage attorney with over a decade of litigation, mediation and counseling experience. Laura advises and represents insurers in complex coverage disputes arising out of general liability policies, excess/umbrella policies, commercial property policies, professional liability policies, errors and omissions policies and directors and officers liability policies. She has particular expertise in additional insured issues, multi-national programs, long tail exposure allocation and coverage issues arising from New York Labor Law.
Laura also has experience in policy drafting and development, and has provided advice to underwriting partners in order to minimize claims exposure. She assists her clients through a business-focused lens at all times, and provides rational, clear and tailored advice and litigation strategies. Laura regularly presents claims education training courses to clients at seminars and in-house programs on various topics including policy construction, coverage analysis strategies, claims handling and negotiations.
Before joining Kennedys, Laura was a partner at an Am Law 100 firm, focusing on insurance coverage and litigation. Laura earned her JD from Seton Hall University School of Law, graduating in the top 4 percent of her class. She was also the editor-in-chief of the Seton Hall Legislative Journal and was elected to the Order of the Coif honor society. She received her BA in history from Colgate University.
Qualifications and admissions
- New York
- New Jersey
- US District Court, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of New York
- US District Court, New Jersey
- Selected to NJ Super Lawyers (2022)
- Selected to NY Super Lawyers Rising Stars List (2022)
- Successfully negotiated multi-million dollar settlement amount multiple insurers in complex insurance coverage dispute involving anti-subrogation, additional insured coverage, New York Labor Law and contractor-controlled insurance program.
- Represented multi-national insurer to successfully resolve high exposure bodily injury dispute within local policy upon discovery of certain underwriting irregularities in excess master insurance program.
- Secured dismissal on summary judgment of a plaintiff’s attempted “claw back” of millions of dollars in defense costs paid by client to plaintiff’s former defense counsel in directors & officers liability dispute.
Presentations and publications
- “Additional insureds and contract indemnification: Evaluating risk transfer,” In-House Client Training (October 2023)
- “Certificates of Insurance 101,” In-House Client Training (August 2023)
- “Business Owners’ Policy Coverage 101,” In-House Client Training (February 2023)
- “Additional Insureds and Contract Indemnity,” In-House Client Training (February 2023)
- “Policy Construction and the DICE Analysis,” In-House Client Training (February 2023)
- Author, “Risk Transfer Mechanisms,” published for Best Review (September 2020)