Javier is a partner in Kennedys Miami regional hub for Latin America and the Caribbean.
Javier specialises in cyber insurance and is actively developing the firm’s’ cyber insurance practice in Latin America and the Caribbean, specifically its cyber incident response practice, and serves as a hub for global claims that affect the Latin American and Caribbean region.
In addition to serving on the breach response teams for a number of carriers, Javier has also worked on cyber wordings specifically for Latin America and provided coverage opinions on cyber claims in the region. Javier is also specialised in claims in Latin America in financial lines with a particular emphasis in on directors’ and officers’(D&O) insurance. In particular as he is qualified in both New York and Florida, Javier frequently works on cross-border securities class actions alongside the US team, bringing the US and Latin American region together.
Javier is native English and Spanish speaker and is also proficient in Portuguese.
Qualifications and admissions
- Qualified in New York and Florida
- Recommended lawyer for 'City focus: Miami (Miami)'
"Javier Agustín Vijil is a key name for cyber risk work."
The Legal 500 Latin America 2023
- Coverage counsel for reinsurer in the Directors & Officers (re)insurance (D&O) program of the state- owned Brazilian petroleum company embroiled in the Lava Jato scandal; served as monitoring counsel in the adjacent US securities class action (eventually settled for USD 3 billion).
- Coverage counsel for reinsurer in the D&O program of a mining company who suffered a dam burst in Brazil leading to the biggest environmental disaster in Brazilian history; monitoring counsel in the adjacent US securities class action (eventually settled for USD 50 million).
- Monitoring counsel for D&O insurers in the US securities class action filed against Argentina’s largest cement manufacturer.
- Coverage counsel for reinsurer in the Bankers Blanket Bond (BBB) program of an Argentine bank who suffered losses of approximately USD 27 million due to cybersecurity fraud.
- Coverage counsel for reinsurer in the D&O program of a Panamanian law firm embroiled in the Panama Papers scandal.
- Incident response counsel for a major sportswear manufacturer victim to a cyber incident affecting its clients worldwide.
- Incident response counsel for a short-term home rental online platform victim to a cyber incident affecting its clients worldwide.
- Data privacy counsel for a soft drink manufacturer victim to a cyber incident affecting its Latin American operations.