- University of Miami School of Law, JD, magna cum laude, 2002
- George Washington University, BA, Political Science, 1998
Kristen Perkins is a partner in the Fort Lauderdale office. Kristen’s practice focuses on complex insurance disputes involving a broad range of coverages including primary and excess general liability, employment, professional liability, directors & officers, property, auto and crime. Kristen handles litigation and arbitration on a wide array of coverage issues and extra-contractual disputes. She also assists her carrier clients with initial coverage determinations, opinions, claim handling advice, counselling on risk transfer, and a variety of ancillary issues facing insurers, including agent/producer disputes and enforcement of restrictive covenants.
Kristen speaks on emerging issues and trends in claims management best practices and extra-contractual issues.
Kristen in a member of the International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), Claims and Litigation Management (CLM) and the Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS).
Qualifications and admissions
- New York
- US District Court, Middle and Southern Districts of Florida
- Obtained award in favor of Bermuda insurance carrier in London arbitration involving an employment practice liability insurance dispute
- Summary judgment awarded in favor of insurer in arbitration enforcing restrictive covenants against competitor and former employees
- Summary judgment awarded in favor of insurer on dispute involving coverage for condominium assessments
- Motion to Dismiss granted in favor of insurer on dispute involving coverage under a CGL policy for ADA class action claims made in connection with the construction of a football stadium
- Motion to Dismiss granted in favor of insurer on claims of extra-contractual liability
- Successful representation of excess carrier in multi-casualty pedestrian bridge collapse involving multiple defendants and bankruptcy issues
- Representation of insurers in the defense of bad faith claims involving personal injury offenses, specialty coverages and first-party property claims
- Coverage and monitoring counsel for both domestic and international insurers on issues involving excess liability claims, construction defect coverage disputes, employment claims, personal and advertising injury, directors & officers liability, defect and injury claims involving large scale construction projects, interpretation of contract law, indemnity and risk transfer, and punitive damages
- Defense of employment discrimination, ADA disability and website accessibility cases, retaliation, including Workers' Compensation retaliation claims, product liability, premises liability, and breach of contract cases
Presentations and publications
- "Recognizing risk transfer opportunities," In-House Client Training (October 2023)
- "Latest Trends and Concerns in Florida," In-House Client Training (September 2023)
- "Emerging trends in construction defect and the new frontier for discovery battles," presented at Kennedys Hot Topics Conference (October 2022)
- Presenter, 2021 IADC Annual Meeting, "Good Faith: Some Things Change, Some Stay the Same"
- Moderator and Presenter, 2021 CLM Annual Conference, "Absence of Malice? It’s Assignment of Times," a panel discussion on Coverage B and anti-assignment provisions (June 2021)
- Co-Author, "Website Accessibility Landscape Continues to Lack Clarity as Businesses Await Guidance," Daily Business Review (October 2018)
- Moderator, "Collaborate, Contribute and Be Creative: How Claims Professionals, Counsel and the Insured Manage Complex Claims Collectively, Part Two" 2018 CLM Midwest Conference, Chicago, Illinois (June 2018)
- Co-Presenter, "Website Law: What Every Organization Needs to Know About Ownership, Public Accessibility, Liability and More," webinar (June 2018)
- "ADA Website Accessibility Lawsuits Increase Amidst Lack of DOJ Compliance Guidelines," Daily Business Review (December 2017)
- Moderator, "Collaborate, Contribute and Be Creative: How Claims Professionals, Counsel and the Insured Manage Complex Claims Collectively, Part One" 2017 CLM Southeast Conference, Atlanta, Georgia (November 2017)
- Panelist, "Dramatic Shifts in Legal and Regulatory EPL Landscape Under the New Administration and the Pathway Forward," 2017 CLM Management and Professional Liability Conference, Boston, Massachusetts (July 2017)
- "The Dire Financial Consequences of Misclassifying Your Employees," Daily Business Review (May 2017)
- Panelist, "2016 Employment Law Update - From Retaliation to Cutting Edge Evidence Being Offered in Employment Cases. What's Old is New in the Employment Legal Landscape (and What's New is New)," CLM Annual Conference, Nashville, Tennessee (March 2017)