Kathryn is a partner in our Chelmsford office and specialises in public sector and liability defence work.
She has a significant profile in the local authority arena, with considerable experience dealing with catastrophic injury and abuse matters, as well as having particular expertise in employers’ and public liability work.
Kathryn’s client base includes global insurers, construction companies, local authorities, Universities and care homes. She has extensive experience in handling cross border disputes including claims against tour operators under the package travel regulation.
Kathryn, who qualified in England and Wales in 1991, is a member of Alarm , and regularly speaks at industry events and is contributor to Kennedys’ Claims Handling Law and Practice Guide, and is a member of the Forum of Insurance Lawyers (FOIL).
Recommended lawyer for 'Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant (South East)'"Kathryn Oldfield specialises in public sector and liability defence work".The Legal 500 UK 2023
- Recommended lawyer for 'Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant (South East)'
"Kathryn Oldfield is excellent at catastrophic PI. She has years of experience and is unflappably calm."
The Legal 500 UK 2022
- Represented insurers in relation to claims for systemic sexual and physical abuse of vulnerable adults in residential care homes. Criminal prosecutions brought against numerous employees. Maintained successful repudiation of policy cover.
- Conducted successful strike on limitation grounds of claim for alleged historic sexual abuse against headmaster.
- Obtained a discontinuance on behalf of University in relation to claim for alleged exposure by student to arsenic poisoning
- Represented insurers in relation to numerous claims made by Claimants who suffered amputations and assisted in ensuring appropriate treatment including osseointegration and rehab were provided to ensure an early resolution of their claims could be made.