The Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS) brings together responsibilities for business, industrial strategy, science, innovation, energy and climate change. BEIS is tasked with leading economy-wide transformation by backing enterprise and long-term growth, generating cheaper, cleaner, homegrown energy and unleashing the UK as a science superpower through innovation.
Kennedys has responded to the BEIS call for evidence and input regarding the UK government’s approach to delivering its net-zero target, as part of an Independent Review of Net Zero.
Given the climate emergency, the transition to net-zero is a top priority for the firm and our clients. By responding to this call for evidence, we expressed our support for the Government’s climate policies. We reinforced our own view that the net-zero transition can be delivered via policy in a way that supports growth, consumers, communities, energy security and businesses and create a greener and cleaner world for all.
In our response, we urged the Government to:
- Introduce simpler, clearer and more comprehensive regulations and guidelines in support of companies to ensure compliance and accountability, and to revise current legislation such as the Companies Act accordingly. Doing so will reduce the risk of greenwashing claims.
- Increase awareness of the climate emergency through government-funded toolkits, public announcements, campaigns and workshops.
- Invest more in innovative technologies that could help mitigate climate risks and deliver a greener economy.
- Provide more grants to assist businesses with pursuing a sustainability agenda.
- Ensure all net-zero initiatives are cross-coordinated throughout different business sectors and are forward-thinking.
- Embed net-zero transition planning at the heart of government policy making.
We are expecting BEIS to publish a report on the outcome of the call for evidence by the end of 2022 and will update the business upon publication. In the meantime, please share the news of our action with your clients and contacts to help keep the conversation going and identify others who share our commitment to positive change.
For more information please contact: