- Conducting and obtaining dismissals in the State Courts in numerous cases involving low-impact whiplash claims.
- Conducted a trial before the High Court involving the assessment of damages for an amputee with phantom limb pain in Tan Hun Boon v Rui Feng Travel Pte Ltd and another 
- Conducted an assessment hearing in the State Courts and appeal to the District Court on the principles of compensation in cases involving the destruction of a rear Truck Mounted Attenuator in Ley Choon Constructions and Engineering Pte Ltd v Tan Koon Huee Adrian 
- Assisted in a trial before the District Court and appeal before the High Court on the issue of res judicata arising out of consent Interlocutory Judgements entered in related court proceedings in Kok Mui Eng v Cherlyn Soh Lay Lian 
- Assisted in the assessment of damages proceedings and subsequent appeals to the High Court and Court of Appeal on the principles of leave requirement for appeals to the Court of Appeal, as well as principles to be applied in determining the appropriate multiplier-multiplicand to apply in dependency claims in Fong Khim Ling (administrator of the estate of Fong Ching Pau Lloyd, deceased) v Tan Teck Ann .
- Assisted in the trial and appeal to the Court of Appeal relating to considerations taken by the Court when overturning findings of fact by a trial judge in an appeal, as well as principles, relating to the plea of inevitable accident / agony of the moment in Thorben Langvad Linneberg v Leong Mei Kuen .
- Assisted in the assessment of damages before the assistant registrar in Chambers and appeal before the High Court Judge in Chambers. Principles of awarding damages for loss of future earnings / loss of earning capacity to sole proprietors in Tan Teck Boon v Lim Gim Siong & Ors .
- Assisted in the trial on liability before the High Court, assessment of damages before the assistant registrar in Chambers and appeal before the High Court Judge in Chambers, and appeal to the Court of Appeal. Principles of awarding damages for complex head injuries and loss of future earnings in Lee Wei Kong v Ng Siok Tong .
- Assisted in a trial in the District Court and Appeal in the High Court. Principles of statutory recovery under section 18(b) of the Workmen’s Compensation Act in Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc v Tan Chye Chong t/a Hai San Fresh Fruits & Anor .
Hui Ying is a partner in our Singapore office and specialises in motor insurance defence work. She was admitted to the Singapore Bar in 2004.
With over a decade of experience representing insurers, Hui Ying’s practice sees her predominantly handle motor, public liability and professional liability claims, with an emphasis in recent years on motor insurance fraud and causation cases involving whiplash claims in low-speed collisions. She has successfully defended and contested many of these claims in the State Courts.
She is one of the few limited lawyers who is routinely appointed for advisory, claims assessment and court work for the Motor Insurers’ Bureau of Singapore.
Her ample experience in disputes work mean that her advice is frequently sought by clients for policy construction and drafting issues. She has also advised the General Insurance Association on the Insurance Amendment Bill, which came into force on 1 September 2009.
In addition to motor claims, Hui Ying handles debt recovery and subrogation claims for insurance companies involving fire damage, water damage, counter-indemnities, contractual recovery and restitution.
She is a member of The Law Society of Singapore.