- Successfully defended both primary and excess insurers in long-tail claims involving environmental contamination, progressive property damage, and asbestos injuries.
- Lead negotiator for insurer in settlements of widely publicized sexual abuse claims against religious institutions.
- Summary dismissal of lawsuit against stop-loss carrier concerning denial of coverage due to failure to disclose potential large loss claim.
- Represented insurers in disputes with providers over coverage for medical expenses.
- Obtained defense verdict in two-week federal jury trial involving claims under catastrophic disability policy.
- Defended life insurer against churning claims involving policies providing over $100 million in death benefits.
- Prevailed in arbitration on complex commission dispute involving life settlements.
- Represented cedent in dispute with reinsurer over enforceability of premium guarantee provisions in hundreds of treaties.
- Monitored responses to data breaches and other cyber incidents on behalf of insurers.
- Defended claims against investment advisor by institutional client to recover investment losses from 2008 stock market crash.
- Prosecuted suit on behalf of state agency in contract and suitability claim concerning purchase of structured investment vehicle "lite" (SIV-lite) backed by subprime RMBS.
- Arbitrated suits before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) in claims involving allegations of fraud, unauthorized trading, unsuitable investment recommendations, and professional negligence.
- Spearheaded defense of railroad in complicated real estate dispute with a pipeline company regarding an easement affecting 1800 miles of the railroad right of way.
- US District Court, Central, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of California
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- US Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- University of California at Berkeley, JD, 1997
- University of California at Los Angeles, MA, 1992
- University of California at Berkeley, BA, 1988
Travis Wall is a Partner in the San Francisco office. He is a coverage attorney and litigator who devotes a significant portion of his practice to the defense of insurance companies in coverage disputes involving property and casualty insurance, reinsurance, life insurance, healthcare, and ERISA and non-ERISA disability claims. Travis has substantial knowledge in the area of cyber risks, and advises his clients on policy and coverage matters involving data breaches and the risks associated with the use of technology and social media.
Outside of his insurance practice, Travis represents both plaintiffs and defendants in securities cases, including the defense of registered investment advisors and broker dealers in court proceedings and FINRA arbitrations. He also defends brokers in disputes involving commercial real estate transactions.