- Obtained numerous declaratory judgments of no coverage for domestic and London-market insurers under general liability policies.
- Secured the withdrawal of tender of vandalism and theft claim after conducting examination under oath.
- Represented insurers in connection with property damage claims and litigation following Hurricanes Irma and Maria.
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- US District Court, District of Minnesota
- University of Illinois, JD, 1992 (cum laude)
- University of Illinois, BS, Business Administration, 1988 (with honors)
Karen is an associate in the firm’s Chicago office. She comes to Kennedys with a background in commercial general liability, property, and professional liability/errors and omissions matters. She represents domestic and international insurers with respect to claims counseling, litigation, and compliance issues. She has argued motions at the trial and appellate levels. She has handled matters involving construction defect, business interruption, theft and vandalism, COVID, hail, hurricane, mold, asbestos, products, disability, fidelity/employee dishonesty, transportation, fine art and environmental claims. Karen has counseled clients on compliance issues and manuscript endorsements.
Earlier in her career, Karen served as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Robert Schumacher at the Minnesota Court of Appeals. Karen is a member of the American Bar Association, and she serves as an investigator for the Chicago Bar Association’s judicial evaluation committee, a group charged with evaluating candidates for judicial office and sitting judges seeking retention.