- Notable practitioner for 'Professional Negligence: Mainly Defendant (Midlands)'
"Steve Oates regularly acts for insurers on claims involving solicitors and construction professionals."
Chambers UK 2021
- Recommended lawyer for 'Professional negligence (West Midlands)'
The Legal 500 UK 2021
- Ranked as an ‘Up and Coming’ individual
Chambers UK 2019
- Ranked as an ‘up and coming’ – “Steve Oates is noted by sources for his technical expertise and for his can-do attitude.”
Chambers UK 2018
- “Steve Oates has strengths in negligence and indemnity claims, representing solicitors, brokers and construction professionals.”
The Legal 500 UK 2019
Steve is a partner in our Birmingham office and is an insurance and professional indemnity specialist. He qualified in Republic of Ireland in 2016.
With a particular focus on defending claims against lawyers, construction professionals and brokers, Steve also defends expert witnesses and advises on policy coverage and disputes, and the coverage and defence of directors’ and officers’ (D&O) liability policies/claims.
Steve has experience in litigation, arbitration and adjudication and also advising clients on, and drafting, construction and commercial contracts.
As well as being well versed in all forms of alternative dispute resolution, with a particular emphasis on mediation; Steve has experience pursuing recoveries and injunctive relief.
Steve is a member of the Society of Construction and Law and of Birmingham Law Society.
- Qualified in Republic of Ireland in 2016