- Handled over 40 claims involving claims or complaints against real estate agents.
- Represented a group of international insurers in respect of a complicated (but ultimately successful) recovery proceeding, pursuing a supplier for delay in supplying small bore manual valves which were a critical part of a rebuild following a fire at a urea plant.
- Acted as sole counsel for the same law firm in four different claims/complaints, one of which involved over four separate High Court proceedings arising from the same facts, under a number of various heads (judicial review, contempt proceedings, a civil action for malicious prosecution), and was successful at all levels, including Court of Appeal.
- Construction: acted for architects, engineers and tradespeople in complex building disputes, most of which have ultimately settled by alternative dispute resolution options.
- Statutory liability litigation - defence work for corporate clients facing regulatory prosecutions by various governmental divisions, including Worksafe, Local Government Regional and City Councils.
- Anti-trust: Defence claims for professionals facing prosecutions from the New Zealand commerce commission for price fixing, anti-competitive conduct and misleading and deceptive conduct in the course of trade.
- Qualified in New Zealand in 2000
Jess is a partner in Kennedys’ Auckland office and has broad experience representing national and international insurers on claims and recoveries ranging from small disputes to large multi-party claims. In her core practice she handles claims involving professional indemnity, public/product liability, directors’ and officers’ insurance, statutory liability and recovery actions.
Jess graduated from the University of Auckland and was admitted as a barrister and solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand in 2000. Following this she worked as a general and insurance litigation solicitor for six years in Auckland. Following a brief time in London in the litigation team of a US firm, she branched out into organisational development for six years with a focus on leadership. Jess then returned to law and has been with Kennedys since 2013. Jess has particular experience and interest in alternative dispute resolution options and is known for her sound and practical advice to insurers and insureds.
Jess is a skilled public speaker and presents at industry and client events. She is a member of the NZILA, APIG and the Insurance Network of New Zealand.