Lewis qualified in England and Wales in 2015 and is a partner and a dual qualified solicitor and costs lawyer, with over 18 years’ experience specialising in costs litigation. His extensive experience includes advising on multi-million pound costs claims and complex technical costs issues arising across a large spectrum of disciplines. Lewis focusses on working with clients to maximise savings to third party costs, both via detailed assessment and active costs management during litigation.
- Effectively reducing claimants’ costs sought at over £10m on a high profile travel litigation claim via the costs budgeting process.
- Compromising a costs claim in excess of £2.1m at mediation for a sum less than 50% of those claimed.
- Successfully appealing the Court’s initial judgment and setting positive precedent with regards to the interpretation of CPR 45.29 and the injury pre-action protocols.
- Securing a finding of inappropriate conduct against solicitors in detailed assessment proceedings, with a significant five figure costs order made in the client’s favour.
- Implementing an effective forecast, control and sanction costs management strategy, in conjunction with ‘know your opponent’ intelligence in response to conduct issues.