Gemma is a legal director based in Kennedys’ Manchester office. Gemma joined the firm in May 2020, having previously qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2016.
Gemma specialises in handling construction disputes on behalf of insurer clients and a wide range of insured clients and has experience of a wide-range of dispute resolution procedures including adjudication, arbitration and mediation, as well as litigation. In addition, Gemma regularly provides policy advice to insurer clients within a construction context.
She is also experienced in defending construction professionals before their regulatory bodies, including the ARB, RIBA and RICS.
Gemma contributes to Kennedys’ external publications and also delivers seminars to clients on a broad range of issues. She is a member of the Forum of Insurance Lawyers (FOIL).
- Acting for various contractors, subcontractors, consultants and architects in relation to various high value claims arising out of cladding-related issues and compliance with building regulations.
- Advising an insurer client on policy coverage claim in relation to a c.£8million claim arising out of the design and installation of allegedly defective cladding;
- Assisting an insured design & build contractor in respect of a mitigation of loss claim for c.£2million arising out of the failure of a sewerage pipeline prior to practical completion;
- Advising an insurer client on policy coverage arising out of a claim for c.£4.8m against its insured design and build contractor in relation to a defective heating system;
- Successfully defending an architect in regulatory proceedings before the Architects Registration Board.