Simon is a partner in our London office. Simon has extensive experience of a broad range of property and non-injury casualty insurance work, the majority of which involves complex, high-value coverage often with an international flavour.
Simon regularly advises insurers on first-party property, public and product liability and recall insurance, and contractors’/erection all risks, much of which relates to property damage.
His experience spans a wide range of industries including construction, manufacturing, automotive, energy, food and drink, cosmetics and pharmaceuticals, and electronics.
Simon is also often instructed on policy drafting, liability defence work and subrogated recoveries. Most recently, he was retained by a London Market insurer to create an innovative suite of insurance products covering first-party and business interruption, healthcare, cyber, professional liability, contract works and management liability.
He is an accomplished litigator, particularly in the English courts, and has extensive experience of pursuing and defending claims for/against all manner of businesses. Of recent note, Simon acted for the successful third defendant – an electrical contractor, in the case of Hiscox Insurance Co. Ltd v (1) Quendon Interiors Ltd (2) Mr Ismail Oral (t/a Precious Marble)(3) TP&N Electrical Contractors Ltd  which considered the test for discharging the burden of proof in claims involving fire damage.
Simon is a member of the Forum of Insurance Lawyers (FOIL).
- Recommended lawyer for ‘Insurance and Reinsurance Litigation (London)’
The Legal 500 UK 2022
Recommended lawyer for ‘Insurance and reinsurance litigation (London)’
“Experienced in property and casualty work”
The Legal 500 UK 2021
Recommended lawyer for 'Product liability: Defendant (London)'
The Legal 500 UK 2021
- Advising insurers on numerous claims under a wide range of non-damage BI extensions arising from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Acting for excess layer insurers in a coverage dispute in relation to the application of a hot works condition following a devastating fire at an industrial plant.
- Advising insurers on the operation of a DIC/DIL (public liability) master policy following a fire at a Spanish airport.
- Acting for insurers on coverage in relation to a claim for mechanical breakdown and associated BI losses following the failure of a turbine at their insured’s PFI-built ‘energy from waste’ recycling plant.
- Acting for insurers in a coverage dispute concerning a product recall claim following a fatality at a cinema due to the alleged contamination of popcorn.
- Acting for a defendant manufacturer following a fire at a well-known London restaurant due to an alleged defect within the lighting control panel.