Joanne is a Partner in Kennedys’ London office.
Joanne manages all manner of personal injury claims including motor, employers’ and public liability claims, with a specialist focus on large loss and catastrophic injuries. She handles cases of the utmost severity, including brain injury, subtle brain injury, spinal injury, amputations, vegetative state, brachial plexus injury, severe psychiatric injury and complex regional pain syndrome.
She advises on issues including fraudulent exaggeration, with a particular focus on fundamental dishonesty, fraud, and e-disclosure applications.
Joanne also represents insurer signatories to the Serious Injury Guide.
Her personal caseload comprises reserves of up to £10 million at any one time.
Joanne regularly presents in the UK and abroad on a range of topics associated with complex claims. She is a co-author and editor of a number of publications, including Kennedys' catastrophic claims guide.
Joanne spent five years working in Kennedys’ Chelmsford office before relocating to London in 2007.
She is a member of the Forum of Insurance Lawyers (FOIL).
Qualifications and admissions
- Qualified in England and Wales in 2004.
Next Generation Partner and recommended lawyer for 'Personal injury: defendant (London)'"Joanne Kelly has standout experience with exaggerated or fraudulent high-value claims, including expertise in social media screening and fundamental dishonesty"."Joanne Kelly and her team strike an excellent balance between legal and commercial and economic considerations of a claim. Their strategic advice is as impressive as their legal advice and I would thoroughly recommend them to anybody looking for a defendant personal injury lawyer."The Legal 500 UK 2024
- Nominated by respondents for delivering outstanding service in the last 12 months
The Gracechurch London Market Insurance Law Monitor 2023
Recommended lawyer for 'Personal injury: defendant (London)'The Legal 500 UK 2023
- Recommended lawyer for 'Personal injury: defendant (London)'
"For fraudulent claims, especially those concerning the fast-developing areas of social media screening and fundamental dishonesty, Joanne Kelly is the name to note."
The Legal 500 UK 2022
- Recommended lawyer for 'Personal injury: Defendant (London)'
"Joanne Kelly's particular specialism lies in the defence of exaggerated or fraudulent high-value claims, including in the fast developing areas of social media screening and fundamental dishonesty."
The Legal 500 UK 2021
- Handled claim brought by a high earning solicitor who allegedly suffered from postural tachycardia syndrome, which was pleaded at £2.2 million, reduced to a settlement of £60,000 including costs, due to order obtaining the claimant’s gym, travel pass and holiday photos from her iPhone.
- Handled a claim bought by a veterinary surgeon who suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder who alleged that she had not worked post-accident. Court order was obtained allowing access to her work computer, including all emails, invoices and work contracts, demonstrating that she had in fact carried out work.
- Defended eight-figure claim by a locked-in teenager who could initially only communicate by blinking and later via eye-gaze technology.
- Allison v London Underground Ltd  – Court of Appeal guidance concerning the construction of Regulations 4 and 9 of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998.