Rudy leads our Kennedys Commercial Disputes and Regulatory Team in Hong Kong and is qualified in Hong Kong (2002) and England and Wales (2008).
Rudy specialises in commercial, construction and engineering disputes resolution, as well as insurance and financial services contentious regulatory matters. He has extensive experience in acting for or advising a broad spectrum of clients including insurers, professionals, employers, manufacturers, suppliers and contractors, major corporations and high net-worth individuals in commercial dispute resolution including mediation, arbitration, domestic and cross-border litigation, contentious regulatory and advisory matters.
Rudy also contributed to the fourth edition of Kennedys’ Global Legal Handbook, one of our most popular guides, which outlines the main legal and procedural issues that case handlers may encounter when dealing with claims across 53 jurisdictions globally.
- Ranked in Tier 4 for ‘Dispute Resolution: Litigation (Hong Kong)’ practice by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2024.
- Ranked in Tier 4 for ‘Regulatory (Hong Kong)’ practice by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2024.
- Ranked in Tier 4 for ‘Dispute Resolution: Litigation (Hong Kong)’ practice by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023
“Their advice is very practical and commercial which is therefore popular among in-house counsels.”
- Ranked in Tier 4 for ‘Regulatory (Hong Kong)’ practice by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023.
- Ranked in Tier 4 for ‘Dispute Resolution: Litigation (Hong Kong)’ practice by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022
Clients identify Rudy Chung as “top notch” during commercial litigation proceedings.
“Kennedys’ litigation team constantly delivers very high-quality services. Rudy Chung, Wilson Tam and their respective teams put the client’s interests first and are efficient in providing practical, suitable and commercial solutions to clients.”
- Rudy Chung is recognised as Up and Coming for ‘Dispute Resolution: Litigation (International Firms) (China)’ by Chambers Greater China Region 2023
“Rudy is a very calm and collected lawyer. He is good at analysing facts and helping clients in identifying the key issues in a dispute.”
“Rudy is a very knowledgeable lawyer with a great sense of commercial awareness. He is responsive and offers practical solutions which is very important to our business needs.”
“Rudy is responsive to the client's needs and is able to deliver prompt and succinct advice. He is also well versed in the practical and strategic aspects of litigation.”
- Rudy Chung is recognised as Up and Coming for ‘Dispute Resolution: Litigation (International Firms) (China)’ by Chambers Greater China Region 2022
“Rudy Chung is a rising commercial litigator whose work spans fraud claims, insolvency disputes and High Court criminal investigations. One client appreciates that he “understands the commercial element involved and can bridge the gap between cultural differences,” while another likes that he is “able to identify and understand the issues quickly, and then provide clear, concise advice.”
- Rudy Chung is continuously named as a Recommended Lawyer for ‘Dispute Resolution: Litigation (Hong Kong)’ by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015 - 2021
“Rudy Chung is very experienced in handling commercial litigation.”
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021
“Rudy Chung is a very sharp, practical and knowledgeable individual.”
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020
“Clients quote that Rudy Chung is ‘a responsive litigator’.”
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017
“At Kennedys…, Rudy Chung and Kevin Yam are all key names for contentious regulatory and commercial matters”
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015
- Acting for clients (MNC, insurers, brokers, professionals, high net worth individual, developers, manufacturers, suppliers and contractors etc.) in handling a wide range of commercial litigation, mediation and arbitration matters including debt and asset recovery, mis-selling claims, shareholders and contractual disputes, injunction application etc. as well as cross-border litigation or arbitration and enforcement proceedings.
- Acting for insurers in debt recovery, principal and agent contractual dispute including litigation, bankruptcy and winding up proceedings up to trial (handling applications in relation to private examinations of debtors and validation orders etc).
- Advising and representing life insurers, brokers and licensed individuals in contentious regulatory matters including response to inquiries / investigations / disciplinaries / appeals relevant to regulators such as the Insurance Authority, Securities and Futures Commission, Equal Opportunities Commission, and Personal Data Privacy Commission etc.
- Acting for clients in court actions defending claims by litigants in person (in some cases conducting the matter in Chinese all the way through to trial and appeal).
- Acting for the directors of listed companies in the defence of negligence and / or breach of fiduciary duty claims brought against them.
- Advising on coverage, claims handling issues as well as defending claims commenced in courts or in arbitration, in relation to life and health, Contractors’ All Risks, Property and Professional Indemnity insurance policies.
- Advising clients in handling data access requests from data users, complaints lodged to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner for Personal Data and investigations by the Equal Opportunities Commission in respect of claims for discrimination on the ground of family status and the vicarious liability of an employer in alleged sexual harassment claims.