- Advising excess buy-side W&I insurers on a claim valued in excess of EUR 300m for breach of a fundamental warranty related to the solvency of the Target Group at the time of acquisition and associated issues related to potential subrogated recoveries for Seller fraud due to the manipulation of the Target Group accounts, including attempting to obtain attachment / freezing orders over the sale proceeds.
- Providing policy advice to insurers on multiple claims and the interaction between POSI, Run-Off and Go-Forward D&O policies under both English and New York Law in relation to various state and federal Securities Actions following the merger of large US and UK based technology companies.
- Advising buy-side W&I insurers on claim mitigation following a claim by an insured on an insured tax covenant following a decision by the Spanish Tax Authority which increased the insured’s historic tax liability, which included liaising with Kennedys' Madrid office.
- Advising insurers of a large FTSE 100 Plc on a claim against its Side A only D&O programme in relation to a proposed derivative claim against the board for their failure to properly manage climate risk.
- Advising insurers in relation to a claim made by a commodities bank for losses associated with the submission of counterfeit bills of lading and contract documents by an insolvent commodities trading business in Asia and the potential for recoveries via trade credit insurers.
Thomas joined Kennedys in September 2015 as a trainee in London, qualifying as a solicitor in England and Wales in September 2017. He has worked exclusively in the financial and political risk team at Kennedys since qualification.
Thomas specialises in financial lines (FI, D&O, POSI and crime), transactional liability (W&I / R&W) and political risk and trade credit claims and coverage disputes, advising international insurers and reinsurers on a range of policies and wordings.
Thomas regularly manages, monitors and co-ordinates defences and investigations in various jurisdictions, including in Europe, the US, the Middle East, South America and the ‘off-shore’ jurisdictions.
Thomas is a member of the Forum of Insurance Lawyers (FOIL).