- Acting for a major roofing contractor in respect of allegedly damaged and/or defective works totalling over £100 million at a corporate HQ. Proceedings on foot in respect of the project CAR insurance.
- Acted for various contractors, subcontractors, consultants and architects in relation to cladding-related issues and compliance with building regulations, including in relation to £300m developments in Central and South East London.
- Acting for a tunnelling specialist in a £20m claim in respect of allegations of defective design and installation at a major UK vehicular tunnel.
- Acting for engineers in a number of complex multimillion pound claims arising out of the design of novel modular car park designs.
- Acting for an architect in a £5m delay and prolongation claim arising out of the construction of residential properties in Bath.
- Advising Insurers in relation to coverage issues arising out of the Grenfell Inquiry.
Robert Calnan is a Legal Director in Kennedys’ London office. He qualified as a solicitor in 2013 and joined Kennedys in 2019.
Robert focusses primarily on the defence of construction professionals in high-value and multi-party disputes. He acts for architects, contractors, engineers, property managers, subcontractors, and specialist consultants. He is instructed both by insurers and construction professionals directly.
On the coverage side, he regularly advises professional indemnity insurers in respect of issues relating to aggregation, notification and market exclusions, and advises on policy wordings.
He has defended claims in court, focussing on the TCC in London and is well versed in alternative dispute resolution, including adjudication and mediation.
Robert is currently acting on a large number of multi-party disputes relating to cladding and building regulation compliance following the tragic events at Grenfell Tower, including a number of high profile disputes followed by the press. He is acting on a high profile insurance dispute arising out of works to a landmark London property.
He is a member of the Forum of Insurance Lawyers (FOIL)