• Pursued International Chamber of Commerce arbitration concerning a claim for $8 million arising out of damage to major infrastructure project in Jamaica.
• Monitored local lawyers in claim pursued for €70 million against Spanish component supplier and insurers, and drafted legal advice for use as evidence of foreign law in French proceedings.
• Pursued fees claim and defending counterclaim for £1 million regarding alleged poor design and delay arising from the renovation of a London mansion, including 44 rooms of specialist marble.
• Defended £15 million claim by BT against AMEC arising out of an underground tunnel fire. Issues included the incorporation of terms into the contract between the parties, and the meaning and effect of allocation of contractual risk and insurance provisions.
• Defended UK and Scandinavian polymer suppliers (Balmoral v Borealis ) in one of the largest product liability cases in the Commercial Court, concerning the international sale contracts and whether goods at a holding depot were in the course of international carriage.
Denise is a Senior Associate in Kennedys’ London office, having qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales at the firm in 2001.
Denise represents insurers, manufacturers, suppliers, importers, contractors and construction professionals, dealing with first and third party insurance claims. She has significant experience of multi-party disputes, claims arising in foreign jurisdictions, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution. Denise is a member of the Forum of Insurance Lawyers (FOIL) and the Union des Avocats Européens. She speaks French and Italian.
Matters range from defending a glass supplier in a claim for £8 million by Anglian Windows alleging breach of sale contract by sample, advising London Market insurers on contractors’ all risks policy response to claims for £70 million by employer and contractor following structural damage to a large shopping centre car park, and pursuing property, contents and bodily injury claims for multiple claimants under a group litigation order, arising out of the Buncefield oil depot blast - the biggest explosion in the history of post-war Europe (Colour Quest Ltd and others v Total Downstream UK Plc and others ). Denise is an expert author for legal publisher
LexisNexis and has published articles in the Construction Law Journal. She co-authored the updated chapter on ‘Preservation of Defences’ for the book Insurance Disputes (editors Mance, Goldrein and Merkin) for publication of the third edition (2011) and is currently working on the fourth edition. Denise is a co-author of Kennedys’ Claims Handling Law and Practice Guide, the fourth edition of which was published in February 2021
- Qualified as a Solicitor in England and Wales in 2001