- Acted for solicitors sued jointly with counsel in connection with an alleged failure to protect assets in a testatrix’s estate from a receiver’s lien for his costs. Glatt v Kanter Jules & ors.
- Acting for main contractor and insurers in a multi-million pound litigation following the flooding of a basement of a North London hotel during construction and in relation to various defects subsequently alleged post-completion (defence and recovery).
- Acting for the main contractor in multi-million pound dispute following oil contamination during the fit out of a major commercial property in South London.
- Acting in liability claims following the flooding of the Manchester Arndale Centre.
- Advising on coverage following damage to offshore oil platform.
- Advising university following computer copyright infringement claims
Barney is a London-based partner in the insurance division who is qualified in England and Wales (2006). He specialises in providing policy advice on a range of non-marine polices, and acting in coverage disputes on casualty, property and professional indemnity claims. Barney additionally has substantial expertise defending higher education institutions and schools in the full range of claims they face. Often Barney’s work encompasses an international element and he has acted on a number of complex and high value instructions, as below.
He is a member of the Forum of Insurance Lawyers, and sits on the Liability Underwriters’ Group and the Developing Technology Monitoring Group of the International Underwriting Association of London. He also sits on the City of London Law Society Insurance law Committee. Barney regularly contributes to Kennedys’ internal publications, and hosts a number of in house seminars.
Recommended Lawyer for insurance and reinsurance litigation,
The Legal 500 UK 2017
- Qualified in England and Wales in 2006