- Southwestern University School of Law, JD, 2006
- University of California, Berkeley, BA, 2002
Eryk Gettell is a partner in the San Francisco office. He has extensive experience counseling insurers on complex insurance coverage and litigation matters involving directors and officers liability, employment practices liability, financial institutions, professional liability, technology and media liability, cybersecurity and data privacy, and commercial general liability insurance.
Eryk has advised insurers on thousands of insurance claims such as securities class actions, board of director disputes, employment discrimination and sexual harassment matters, wage and hour lawsuits, professional negligence claims, regulatory investigations, data breach matters, and fiduciary liability claims. Eryk assists clients with evaluating the availability of coverage, preparing coverage letters, monitoring complex claims, representing insurers in settlement conferences and mediations, and coordinating with insureds, brokers, defense counsel, and policyholder counsel regarding insurance matters. Eryk also represents insurers in coverage litigation matters, including declaratory relief actions, litigation regarding fee disputes, and defending insurers in breach of contract and extra-contractual lawsuits.
He has also presented to insurance clients on topics such as the insured’s right to independent counsel, mediations from the carrier’s perspective, and California’s Fair Claims Settlement Practices Regulations.
Eryk is on the Board of the Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS) Northern California Chapter and a member of the Bar Association of San Francisco (BASF). While in law school, Eryk served as a judicial extern for Judge Martin Burke with the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
Qualifications and admissions
Presentations and publications
- “Considering Alternatives to Trial: Alternative Dispute Resolutions and Mediations,” presented at The Practising Law Institute’s Negotiation Essentials 2023 Program (2023)
- Author, “Liability Insurance Practice: Claims & Litigation, 2022 Update,” published for Continuing Education of the Bar (2022)
- Author, “California Liability Insurance Practice: Claims and Litigation, First Edition,” published for Continuing Education of the Bar (2021)
- “Avoiding Litigation with Mediation,” presented at the America’s Claims Executive Leadership Forum & Expo (2019)
- Co-author, “Directors & Officers Liability Insurance Deskbook, 4th Edition,” published for the American Bar Association (2016)