Paula is a Senior Associate in Kennedys’ Madrid office. She qualified in Spain in 2017, is fluent in English and Spanish and has worked in the insurance sector since becoming a lawyer.
Paula handles contentious and non-contentious matters for local and international insurers and is specialized in matters with cross-border elements. She is skilled in the art of negotiation and Court appearances. Her practice areas include marine, transport & logistics, aviation, professional indemnity and property, energy & construction.
She has experience in litigation within judicial and arbitration proceedings, negotiation, recovery actions and coverage advice, assisting both insurers and insureds as necessary. Furthermore, she handles the revision, interpretation and adaptation of insurance policies to Spanish law.
Paula also handles the management of these claims from their receipt to final judgment and everything in between, including handling the borderaux and acting as TPA.
In 2021, Paula completed the Master in International Maritime Law given by the Spanish Maritime Institute and in 2022 she ranked as “Recommended Lawyer for 'Transport: Shipping (Spain)” in the Legal 500 EMEA 2022 directory.
She is a member of the Spanish Young Insurance Professionals Group and the Spanish Marine Association.
Qualifications and admissions
- Qualified in Spain in 2017
Rising Star for 'Transport: Shipping (Spain)' | The Legal 500 EMEA 2023
Recommended Lawyer for 'Transport: Shipping (Spain)' | The Legal 500 EMEA 2023
Recommended Lawyer for 'Transport: Shipping (Spain)' | The Legal 500 EMEA 2022
- Advice to liability insurer regarding a EUR 42 million civil claim related to criminal proceedings for direct damages and business interruption. The claimant is a petrochemical company which is the main player in the petrochemical market in Spain and Latin America.
- Acting for an Insurer in a portfolio of claims on Architects and Engineers Professional Indemnity Insurance. This has involved assessing coverage issues, defending the insurer (on coverage) or insured (architects, engineers) in civil, criminal or administrative proceedings. Providing legal advice and defence to insureds regarding their exposure on contractual and tort liability, under Spanish construction regulations.
- Representing the shipowners in a claim against the H&M Underwriters and bareboat charterers-buyers arising from the Constructive Total Loss of a vessel in Algiers. We have also handled the case in coordination with the P&I Club’s lawyers, regarding salvage, caretaking and recycling.
- Representing Insured’s interests against the Consortium of insurers as a consequence of a flood which caused damages to the property of the Insured. In this matter we have been able to successfully recover 3 million Euros.