Tom is a London-based partner, who specializes in advising (re)insurers on large and complex first party and third party claims.
His first party claims include advising on coverage for property and energy claims under operational and CAR risks. He is particularly focused on advising on complex losses and litigated/arbitrated disputes and in pursuing subrogated recoveries in multiple jurisdictions.
Tom also specialises in providing coverage advice and defending complex professional negligence claims for construction professionals, solicitors and accountants. He has significant experience in Bermuda Form Arbitrations.
Notable recent instructions include coverage advice on a US$600 million refinery fire claim Argentina, US$1OOmillion mining claims in South Africa and Australia and a $500 million loss arising from a fire and explosion at a petrochemical plant in the Czech Republic.
Tom has also recently advised professional indemnity insurers on a number of coverage issues, including aggregation and dishonesty exclusions. He defended insurers in a seven week trial on a US$70 million professional negligence accountants claim.
Tom is a member of the Associate of The Chartered Insurance Institute, and the Forum of Insurance Lawyers.
Qualifications and admissions
- Qualified in England and Wales in 1998
- Nominated by respondents for delivering outstanding service in the last 12 months
The Gracechurch London Market Insurance Law Monitor 2023
- Recommended lawyer for 'Construction (contentious) (London)'
The Legal 500 UK 2023
- Recommended Lawyer for 'Professional negligence (London)'
The Legal 500 UK 2018/19
- Recommended Lawyer for insurance and reinsurance litigation
The Legal 500 UK 2017
- Described as: "...very proactive, gets the job done. We have a good relationship where trust has been built.” and "...understands what we need and is able to deliver that in an impartial manner".
The Gracechurch London Market Insurance Law Report 2016
- "His quality and advice on claims is excellent".
The Gracechurch APAC Market Insurance Law Report 2017
- Advising insurers on coverage of property damage and business interruption in a US$200 million loss arising from a fire and explosion at a refinery in South Africa.
- Advising insurers on coverage and subrogation relating to turbine failures at various power generation plants in Spain, Pakistan, Egypt and Turkey.
- Advising Reinsurers on CAR and DSU claims in excess of US$100m arising from construction projects in Israel.
- Advising Reinsurers on coverage issues arising from a series of large corrosion, fire and water ingress claims on construction projects in Qatar.
- Acting for insurers in relation to coverage of large petro-chemical plant fires in Argentina and Brazil.
- Defending a US$70 million professional negligence accountants’ claim.
- Defending several claims of over £5 million against firms of solicitors arising out of failed property transactions.