Nick is a London-based partner, with over 20 years’ experience dealing with claims involving large construction disputes, property damage, product liability and professional indemnity. His clients include insurers, manufacturers, and construction companies and professionals.
In particular, Nick has expertise in dealing with significant claims with property damage elements, often of a complex and high profile nature. He acts in first party and third party disputes, CAR, EAR, resolution and policy interpretation matters.
In addition, he defends casualty policyholders in complex cases involving tech lines policies and he makes subrogated recoveries for insurers in relation to both first party property and construction policies and casualty policies. He advises on the effect of the DE and LEG clauses in CAR and EAR policies as well as joint names insurance provisions under the standard form of construction contracts.
Nick is a member of the Forum of Insurance Lawyers, and regularly contributes to Kennedys’ London Market Brief. In addition, he regularly lectures and provides in-house training.
Qualifications and admissions
- Qualified in England and Wales in 1993
- Nick was very highly praised in the Gracechurch London Market Insurance Law Reports of both 2013 and 2016.
- A Recommended Lawyer for ‘insurance and reinsurance litigation’ where he was described as “especially good” in The Legal 500 UK 2017.
- Acted for Project Insurers in £60 million EAR coverage dispute in relation to tank corrosion.
- Acted for insurer in £27m coverage dispute from teabag manufacturer factory fire.
Defended the manufacturer of gas installation equipment against a £40m claim arising out of an explosion at a super absorbents factory. Defended a contractor against a claim of £16m arising from a supermarket fire.
- William McIlroy (Swindon) Ltd v Quinn Insurance Ltd . Court of Appeal decision on when the liability of an insurer crystalises for the purposes of time running for a claim under a policy by the insured which went in our client’s favour.
- Tesco Stores Ltd v David Constable(sued on his own behalf and on behalf of all other members of syndicate 386) & ors . Successfully defended public liability insurers in preliminary issues hearing about Gerrards Cross tunnel collapse.
- Medivance Instruments Ltd v Gaslane Pipework Services Ltd and Vulcana Gas Appliances Ltd . Successfully defended the manufacturer in the Court of Appeal of a heater in a product liability case.
- Capital & Counties v HCC . Instructed on the leading case on the Civil Liability of Statutory Undertakers.