Laura qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2007 and was promoted to senior associate in Kennedys’ London office in 2014. She was promoted to Partner in October 2021 when she moved from our London office to our Bristol office. Laura has a mixed practice dealing with professional indemnity defence (including solicitors, brokers, accountants, financial professionals) and insurance and reinsurance coverage work, generally in the fields of professional indemnity, directors’ and officers’ and financial institutions.
Laura often advises on complex coverage matters, often involving international jurisdictions, including Italy, Colombia, Venezuela and the Channel Islands, and works closely with Kennedys’ international offices as appropriate.
Laura has completed two secondments, eight months with Munich Re and 12 months with Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty, handling professional indemnity claims.
Significant reported cases include AXA Insurance Company Ltd (formerly known as Winterthur Swiss Insurance Company) v Akther & Darby Solicitors and others .
Laura is a member of the Forum of Insurance Lawyers (FOIL).
- Qualified in England and Wales in 2007
Recommended lawyer for 'Professional negligence (South West)'The Legal 500 UK 2023
- Recommended Lawyer for 'Professional negligence (London)'
The Legal 500 UK 2018/19
- Recommended Lawyer for ‘Professional negligence (London)’
The Legal 500 UK 2017
- Acted for 38 firms of solicitors and their insurers in the defence of a £70 million claim by after-the-event insurers in relation to the Composite Legal Expenses scheme, including successful Court of Appeal judgment in relation to limitation-barred cases.
- Defended firm of accountants in relation to multi-million pound class action following investments in film finance tax avoidance schemes.
- Advised D&O insurers in relation to D&O coverage for a £50 million claim by the liquidator of an insolvent insurance company.
- Coverage advice to insurers of a fund manager in relation to a £30 million claim arising from a failed AI investment product.