Dónal is a legal director in Kennedys’ London office whose practice involves the provision of coverage and monitoring advice relating to complex insurance and reinsurance issues.
Dónal has significant experience of advising the London market on various classes of financial lines risks, including directors’ and officers’ liabilities, professional indemnity, crime and pension trustees’ liabilities. Dónal regularly advises on actions brought against directors of companies, pension trustees and financial institutions. In addition, Dónal provides advice regarding regulatory actions and investigations, including by the Financial Conduct Authority, the European Commission and the Pensions Regulator.
Dónal also has broad experience of dispute resolution, both in the UK and overseas, advising and representing insurers and insureds alike, including in respect of breach of duty and unfair prejudice actions and claims against financial institutions.
Dónal regularly provides seminars to insurers on financial lines risks and is a contributing author to the latest edition of Kennedys’ Claims Handling Law and Practice Guide which was published in February 2021.
Qualifications and admissions
- Qualified as a Solicitor in England and Wales in 2008
- Advised London Market insurers on coverage and strategy in relation to multi-million dollar proceedings in New York.
- Advised insurers in respect of multi-million pound claim brought against directors of a mining company.
- Advised insurers in respect of prohibition proceedings brought by the Pensions Regulator against high-profile pension trustees.
- Represented insured directors in respect of unfair prejudice and high value breach of duty claims.
- Advised insurers and assisted insured directors and entities in respect of regulatory action and court proceedings brought in offshore jurisdictions, including the British Virgin Islands, Gibraltar, Jersey and Guernsey.
- Negotiated favourable settlements of coverage disputes involving aggregation wording and court proceedings involving insurers.