Alex is a partner based in our London office whose practice primarily involves complex reinsurance and insurance coverage and monitoring advice.
Alex has significant experience in the interpretation of financial institutions, directors and officers, crime, and warranty and indemnity policies, and regularly advises markets of insurers or reinsurers on matters governed by English law, or acts as co-coordinating counsel where policies are governed by other laws or jurisdictions. She has particular experience in Scandinavian jurisdictions, Italy, the US, and Latin America. Aside from issues of policy interpretation, Alex has advised on complex issues around conflicts of law issues, where a number of policies are governed by the law of different jurisdictions. Alex’s practice increasingly involves media and cyber coverage, as well as claims involving the art world.
Alex has a Diploma in the Art Profession, Law and Ethics from the Institute of Art and Law.
- Qualified in Northern Ireland in 2008
- Qualified in England and Wales in 2009
- Advised a market of international reinsurers in respect of a first party property damage claim by one of the world’s leading mining companies, arising out of a large landslide.
- Provided coverage and monitoring counsel advice to a market of insurers in relation to a long running breach of trust case, involving proceedings in Guernsey. The underlying proceedings in this case were appealed and heard at Privy Council level.
- Advised on a number of Madoff losses, including class actions in which investors were claiming billions of dollars from a third party administrator and custodian.
- Regularly advises markets of insurers on high profile regulatory matters, arising out of FCA past business reviews and enforcement actions.
- Advised on multiple claims for breach of warranty, including in respect of the application of the multiplier to valuing the claims, under a buyer side warranty and indemnity (W & I) wording.