Rupert Skrine is a Senior Consultant in Kennedys Financial Lines Team in Hong Kong. He recently retired from his role as Kennedys’ APAC Managing Partner, having opened the Hong Kong office in 2000.
Rupert qualified in England & Wales (1986) and in Hong Kong (1990) and has over 30 years’ experience advising on a wide spectrum of clients in both contentious and non-contentious matters including all aspects of defence of insureds and other clients against claims for negligence, particularly within the accounting and legal professionals.
Rupert serves as committee member of various committees of the Law Society of Hong Kong, clerk to the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal. He is a member of the Hong Kong Federation of Insurers Legal Affairs Committee, Professional Liability Underwriting Society and Hong Kong Insurers Club.
- Named as a:
- Senior Statesperson for ‘Insurance: Contentious (International Firms)’ by Chambers Greater China Region 2023
- Eminent Practitioner for ‘Insurance: Contentious (International Firms) (China) by Chambers Asia Pacific 2012 - 2022
- Leading Individual for ‘Insurance (Hong Kong)’ by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016 - 2022
- Recommended Lawyer for ‘Dispute Resolution: Litigation (Hong Kong)’ by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2012 – 2021
- Recommended Lawyer for ‘Employment (Hong Kong)’ by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2014 – 2019, 2021
- Eminent Practitioner for ‘Insurance: Contentious (International Firms)’
“Rupert Skrine is described admiringly as “the top partner of the Hong Kong office” by one impressed interviewee. He is highly regarded for his expertise in financial lines and professional indemnity claims.”
Chambers Greater China Region 2022
“Rupert Skrine is a highly respected figure with vast experience in professional indemnity and financial lines disputes. One client remarks: ‘We find him to be a very calm lawyer. If you have a heavily contested matter, he is much better than others in holding forth. Because of his reputation and experience, he can be very authoritative in what he says, making him more convincing to other parties.’”
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020
- Ranked in Tier 1 for ‘Insurance (Hong Kong)’ by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022
- A Leading Individual for ‘Insurance (Hong Kong)'
“Rupert Skrine, who is dual-qualified in Hong Kong and England & Wales, is particularly experienced in negligence claims.”
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022
“Kennedys’ team, led by Rupert Skrine and Richard Bates, is ‘responsive and demonstrates a good understanding of the client's business and the industry’.”
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019
- A Notable Practitioner (Band 1) for ‘Insurance Contentious (International Firms) (China)'
“Rupert Skrine is an experienced insurance specialist who is well reputed for handling professional and other financial lines claims. He has a commendable track record of defending major international insureds against complex, high-value claims.”
Chambers Asia Pacific 2019
- A Notable Practitioner (Band 1) for ‘Insurance Contentious (International Firms) (China)’
“Rupert Skrine is ‘well respected in the Hong Kong market, with a good knowledge of the local markets and a good technical understanding of complex financial lines products’.”
Chambers Asia Pacific 2018
- Clients took part in the interviews praise Rupert “has a very deep understanding of Kennedys global capabilities, and as a result he really understands how that works alongside our global strategy”; “He is a phenomenal lawyer who is one of the market leaders”; “He has a great team with him, so anytime we need it we get support”
Gracechurch APAC Report 2017
- Advising for the Big Four accountancy firms in relation to a number of substantial claims in Hong Kong.
- Defending applications by liquidators under the s.221 Companies Ordinance.
- Acting for insurers in connection with disputes with agents including the recovery of advance commissions and allowances.
- Advising employers and employees on their respective rights and bringing claims including injunctive relief.
- Advising on coverage and all aspects of product liability.