Joanie leads our Financial Lines Team in Kennedys Hong Kong office and is the Head of the Cyber & Data Privacy practice group for APAC. She is qualified in Hong Kong (2006), New South Wales Australia (2006) and England and Wales (2008).
Joanie advises on all aspects of insurance and reinsurance law, specialising in financial lines insurance, including professional indemnity insurance, directors and officers insurance (including employment practices liability cover), financial institutions professional indemnity insurance, investment managers insurance, crime insurance, as well as trade credit insurance and terrorism and political violence insurance.
Joanie also has extensive experience in providing cyber incident response services, advising on data privacy and notification requirements, and the recovery of funds transferred as a result of cyber fraud. She also advises on coverage under cyber policies and cyber policy drafting and enhancements.
Joanie is a board member of the Hong Kong Insurance Law Association. She is passionate about inspiring and empowering female professionals and leads our Women In Business initiatives in Hong Kong.
- Named as a Next Generation Partner for ‘Data Protection and Cyber Security (Hong Kong)’ by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2024
- Ranked in Tier 1 for ‘Insurance (Hong Kong)’ practice by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022 - 2024.
- Named as a Leading Individual for ‘Insurance (Hong Kong)’ by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019 – 2024
“The excellent Joanie Ko has deep knowledge and experience in the insurance market of Hong Kong and is always ready to help."
“Joanie Ko ‘has an eye for detail, provides robust advice and adopts a very holistic approach.’”
“Client praises that Joanie Ko ‘provides fast responses and is a proactive partner’”
“They have international reach, as well as servicing the client to its fullest need”
- Ranked in Band 3 for ‘Insurance: Contentious (International Firms)’ by Chambers Greater China Region 2023
“Joanie can provide comprehensive coverage advice to deal with difficult and challenging situations.
- Ranked in Band 4 for ‘Insurance: Contentious (International Firms)’ by Chambers Greater China Region 2022
“Joanie Ko is praised by clients for her “extensive experience on financial lines matters,” and is also esteemed for her knowledge of directors’ and officers’ insurance. She is increasingly active on cyber-related fraud insurance matters.”
- Recognised as Up and Coming for ‘Insurance: Contentious (International Firms) (China)’ by Chambers Asia Pacific 2018 - 2021
“Joanie Ko has a broad insurance practice assisting companies with insurance policy coverage issues in relation to terrorism and political violence. She is also noted for her experience advising clients in D&O disputes.”
“One client appreciates: She's got a way of doing things, of seeing things clearly. She gets straight to the point, her advice is always very relevant. If I'm looking for a technical answer to a very complicated legal issue, I will go to Joanie.”
“Joanie Ko is an up-and-coming insurance litigator whose counsel is sought by major insurers in relation to a range of coverage claims. She focuses primarily on handling financial lines claims, including D&O and professional indemnity mandates. She is highly rated for her knowledge of technology and cyber insurance issues.”
A client remarks: ‘Availability would be a good strength,’ adding: ‘She never misses my deadlines and would go above and beyond to deliver. I appreciate that.’
- Ranked in Tier 3 for ‘TMT (Hong Kong)’ practice by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022 and 2023
“Joanie Ko has great industry knowledge and connections with a range of forensic and crisis communication partners.”
“The team is well-equipped to handle cyber and privacy-related matters with knowledge and industry connections needed to be able to support the matter across the region.”
“Always helpful and responsive. Very efficient in delivering comprehensive but succinct legal advice which can be easily understood.”
- Recognised as one of the world's leading female practitioners in Insurance and Reinsurance by Expert Guides: Women in Business Law 2021 and 2022.
- "Interviewees comment that ‘She is very approachable; she always gives a very honest and balanced view in her advice’ and ‘Her analysis of very complex legal issues is thorough’”
Gracechurch APAC Report 2017
- Advising on coverage, monitoring and defence of insurance claims with a focus on all types of financial lines insurance, including arbitration and litigation of coverage disputes.
- Defending policyholders and other insureds in respect of professional liability and employment practices liability claims.
- Advising insurers on drafting of D&O policies, professional indemnity policies and cyber policies.