Rishi is a Legal Director in the Dubai office of Kennedys. He qualified as an Advocate in India in 2010, and has part of the Kennedys framework since 2011, first with the Indian Associate firm – Tuli & Co, and since 2012 with the Kennedys’ Dubai office.
As part of Kennedys Dubai, Rishi is registered as a Legal Consultant by the Legal Affairs Department of Dubai, and also in Part I of the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) Courts’ Register of Legal practitioners.
Rishi specialises in complex commercial disputes with an emphasis on construction and insurance/reinsurance. Rishi advises and represents insurers, reinsurers, contractors, sub-contractors, and on instructions from (re)insurers acts as defence counsel of various professionals and commercial enterprises.
Rishi also provides coverage advice to Insurers/Reinsurers (in relation to Errors & Omissions (E&O), Directors & Officers (D&O), Commercial General Liability (CGL), Professional Indemnity (PI), Erection/Construction All Risks (EAR/CAR), Machinery Breakdown, Property, Jewellers Block, Bankers Blanket Bond, and Commercial Crime insurance policies, mainly issued in India and the Middle East.
Rishi has handled cases of all sizes, from modest value to multi-millions, across the Indian subcontinent and the Middle East. Rishi also has experience in dealing with claims, disputes and coverage issues whilst working with local counsel across various other international jurisdictions, including the Afghanistan, Australia, Gibraltar, USA, and UK.
Recommended Lawyer for 'Insurance (United Arab Emirates)' | The Legal 500 EMEA 2023
"Rishi Sengupta is always able to convey technical legal matters simply and effectively. He is happy to answer ad-hoc legal queries to the best of his ability, as well as working proactively to successfully resolve ongoing claims."
Rising Star for 'Insurance (United Arab Emirates)' | The Legal 500 EMEA 2023
Associate to Watch for 'Dispute Resolution (UAE)' | Chambers & Partners Global 2023
"Rishi Sengupta is extremely knowledgeable of the local laws and processes."
"He goes above and beyond on instructions, and is extremely helpful with general queries and guidance."
"Rishi's legal knowledge and drive continue to impress me. He always makes time to answer any questions I may have."
Rising Star for 'Insurance (United Arab Emirates)' | The Legal 500 EMEA 2022
"I have worked very closely with Rishi Sengupta who has been a great help with a long and difficult case that has potentially many years ahead. He is happy to help with general legal queries and always puts in the time and effort for comprehensive, clear and helpful response."
"Rishi has a detailed market knowledge and is happy to help where he can."
Rising Star for (Re)insurance | Euromoney Expert Guides
Rishi is recognised by international publications. For example, he has been continuously recognised by in-house counsel and peers to appear as a ‘Rising Star’ in insurance and reinsurance in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th editions of Euromoney's Expert Guides.
- Advising and in representing the Dubai branch of an international insurer, in proceedings brought by a landlord against its tenant and the tenants insurer following a fire. Various issues addressed in the matter across several different proceedings over many years, including the applicable jurisdiction of the rental disputes committee of Dubai courts, application of exclusion clauses, and extent of cover provided under separate Property All Risks and Public Liability Policies. Importance of the matter also lay on the fact that this was one of the rate instances in Dubai where there were liability findings against the insured, but not against its insurer.
- Representing a DIFC Reinsurer in proceedings brought by a leading UAE insurance cedant under a Quota Share Energy Treaty.
- Representing the Dubai subsidiary of a global chemicals company in a matter involving the supply of high-tech polymer materials.
- On instructions from professional indemnity (re)insurers, advising and representing a UAE design services and development management company, which is one of many defendants in subrogation proceedings brought by the insurers of a large hotel in Dubai that was destroyed by fire.
- Advising international reinsurers and their local cedant in respect of claims under a Directors & Officers liability policy relating to errors in the financial statements of a listed Saudi Arabian company.