Camilla is a partner in our Cambridge office who specialises in all aspects of clinical negligence and medical law, with over 20 years’ experience in this sector.
Called to the Bar in 1994, she also qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales in 1998 and joined the partnership of a specialist healthcare firm.
Having moved to Kennedys in 2011, Camilla continues to specialise in all aspects of clinical negligence litigation on behalf of NHS Resolution, NHS Trusts, private healthcare insurers, general practitioners and Clinical Commissioning Groups. Camilla runs high-value claims including those involving adult neurological damage and perinatal brain injury, as well as supervising junior lawyers.
Camilla also provides advice on healthcare law to healthcare providers and regulators on topics including consent to treatment, corporate governance, clinical risk, complaints, investigations, inquests and GDPR/data protection. She regularly lectures and provides training to clients on these subjects.
Camilla is a lead author of our report Healthtech in the future - the legal ramifications.
Camilla is a member of the Forum of Insurance Lawyers (FOIL).
- Qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales in 1998.
Next Generation Partner and recommended lawyer for 'Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant (East Anglia)'"Her calm and authoritative manner definitely inspires confidence."The Legal 500 UK 2023
- Next Generation Partner and recommended lawyer for 'Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant (East Anglia)'
"Camilla Long is an experienced practitioner. Her practice encompasses high value and complex case. She is the solicitor you want behind you when you are in court. She knows the cases inside out and is trusted by clients."
The Legal 500 UK 2022
- Next Generation Partner and recommended lawyer for 'Clinical negligence: Defendant (London)'
"Camilla Long...is 'empathetic and has extensive medical knowledge'."
The Legal 500 UK 2021
- Rising Star and Recommended Lawyer for 'Clinical negligence (East Anglia)'
The Legal 500 UK 2019/20
- ‘Clinical negligence: defendant (East Anglia)’
“Senior associate Camilla Long and solicitors Ross Bell and Samantha Goward garner ‘particularly high praise for the peace of mind and the personal touch they give to their clients’.”
The Legal 500 UK 2017
- Sinclair v Colchester Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust  – successfully defended the trust at trial in a fatal accident claim alleging failures by the trust’s cardiology service.
- FB v The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust  – important Court of Appeal judgment on the Bolam standard of care expected of junior doctors. Successfully defended the hospital at first instance.
- Tasmin v Barts Healthcare NHS Trust  – successfully defended the trust at trial in a High Court action alleging that the claimant’s cerebral palsy was the result of negligence during labour by the hospital’s obstetricians.
- Mediation – successfully resolved two claims recently both involving particularly sensitive issues and where non-monetary solutions were required.
- Insurance work – joint lead for a claims management service for medical malpractice claims for a notable healthcare insurer and responding on coverage issues.