- Obtaining arbitral awards on behalf of our client in an LCIA arbitration seated in London concerning the purchase of fuel from Turkmenistan.
- Acting for claimant in an AAA arbitration seated in New York relating to the repudiatory breach of an aircraft leasing agreement.
- Acting for a contractor in a dispute concerning the construction of a floating oil storage and off-loading unit in the Mediterranean; arbitration under ICC Rules in Paris.
- Acting for a military logistics contractor in a dispute relating to the transportation of fuel and food across Afghanistan; arbitration under DIAC Rules in Dubai.
- Obtaining an award in favour of a contractor against a sub-contractor in a dispute concerning the execution of works to a pipeline in Abu Dhabi; arbitration under ICC Rules in UAE.
- Acting for an oil refinery in an ICC arbitration seated in Oman against an EPC contractor in respect of damage and business interruption caused by a fire at the refinery.
- Acting for Singaporean buyers in Hong Kong arbitration (HKIAC) proceedings in relation to a cancellation dispute with a PRC shipyard.
- Acting in three parallel references to ICC (seat Paris) and UNCITRAL under SIAC (seat Singapore) of a dispute between the owner of a Bangladeshi Power Plant and contractors.
- Acting for a Singapore company in a SIAC arbitration with its Indian joint venture partner relating to the operation of a seismic vessel.
- Advising a client in relation to a shareholder dispute in an ICC arbitration seated in Hong Kong.
Kennedys’ arbitration team is recognised for its expertise in managing significant and complex disputes worldwide.
Our team members are strategically located at the world’s main arbitration hubs in Europe, the Middle East, Asia, North America and Latin America. We have extensive experience of conducting cases on an ad hoc basis or under different institutional rules in a wide range of forums including: the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), Dubai International Financial Centre – London Court of International Arbitration (DIFC-LCIA), Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC), Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC), Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration (ACICA), and American Arbitration Association (AAA).
A number of our global team are qualified and have sat as arbitrators and board members in some of the world’s pre-eminent arbitral centres including the ICC, SIAC and ACICA.
We regularly assist with proceedings in local courts to obtain interim remedies and to enforce arbitral awards.
Our team of expert lawyers comprises both common and civil law practitioners working together on cases and in the sharing of knowledge for the benefit of our clients.
We are known in the market for providing highly effective and timely advice and representation, informed by in-depth knowledge of local languages and legal cultures.
Being part of one of the world’s foremost dispute resolution practices, we have a deep and instinctive understanding of key industry sectors serviced globally by the firm such as banking and finance, construction and engineering, insurance and reinsurance, life sciences, shipping and international trade, and transport and logistics.
Arbitration - commercial
Arbitration - insurance
We act for insurers and reinsurers in arbitral disputes under their insurance policies and in defence of claims against their insureds.
We are global leaders in Bermuda Form arbitration – see our specialist Bermuda Form page.
- Representing trade credit insurers in a LCIA arbitration in respect of a multi-million coverage dispute with a Canadian debt factoring company.
- Representing an insurer and their insured in an ICC arbitration in respect of multi-million claims for losses arising out of a system error at a power generation plant.
- Acting for a UAE Takaful Insurer and a UAE Third Party Administrator in DIFC-LCIA proceedings for payment of reinsurance claims under a Quota Share Reinsurance Agreement against an international reinsurer.
- Representing an insurer and its insured in a SIAC arbitration in respect of multi-million dollar claims by warehouse operator and subrogated claims by the insurer arising from a warehouse fire.
- Acting to resist an application to the Hong Kong Court for leave to appeal against an arbitral award made in an arbitration administered by the HKIAC.
- Representing an insurer and its insured in UNCITRAL arbitration in respect of a multi-million dollar claim for contribution arising out of a fire caused by an air-conditioning unit manufactured by the insured.
- Representing an insurer in a Bermuda arbitration and related court proceedings, including a substantive arbitration hearing in Toronto, in respect of a multi-million dollar coverage dispute with its US-based professional services insured arising out of criminal and civil actions brought against principals of the insured in the United States.
- Representing an insurer and its reinsurer in a CAM/CCBC arbitration arising out of an insurance coverage dispute under an engineering policy.