Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 9 November 2022
During this webinar our expert speakers discussed claims inflation in the motor market covering bent metal inflation through to catastrophic injury claims.
We answered the numerous motor questions we received during and since the market wide claims inflation event.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 19 October 2022
During this webinar our expert speakers discussed e-scooters including:
- What are they and why the concern?
- The current legal position.
- The Transport Bill and the future legal position.
- PACTS recommendations.
- The local authority trials experience.
Liability claims inflation virtual conference - 12 October 2022
During this virtual conference we were joined by guest speaker, Darren Pain, Director of Cyber & Evolving Liability at The Geneva Association. Mr Pain discussed:
- The recent rapid rise in economic inflation.
- The implications for insurance claims alongside prevailing social inflation trends.
- The steps insurers should be considering in navigating the elevated and more uncertain claims environment.
Our panel of Kennedys expert speakers also explored the implications and impact excess claims inflation is having on the following lines of business:
- Employers’ and public liability
- Public sector
- Serious and catastrophic injury
- Legacy disease
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 20 July 2022
OIC – what does 12-months of data show us?
We hosted the twelfth webinar in our bi-weekly series for 2022 where the focus once again turned to OIC.
Our Kennedys IQ team have analysed the data for the first full 12 months of claims data from June 2021 to June 2022. There are numerous and significant trends to highlight.
Mike Gilpin, Commercial Director, Kennedys IQ and Chris Stubbs, Product Manager, Kennedys IQ shared the high level data we have available and Ian Davies, Partner, Kennedys added commentary and context to what the data shows.
Pre-litigation handling in the Celtic jurisdictions - 19 July 2022
In this webinar our speakers provided an insight in to the personal injury pre-litigation process and tactics across Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. They discussed:
- Key aspects, and the impact of the Personal Injury Pre-Action Protocol.
- Current personal injury landscape.
- Tips for pre-litigation claims handling.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 22 June 2022
During this webinar we discussed the two reported cases on tariff plus damages in the OIC - Mason v Pickering and Kaur v Kamal including:
• What can we learn from the decisions?
• Are they of any practical assistance?
We also touched on the Small Claims Pilot Scheme where cases can be determined without a hearing and discuss whether there is a benefit to claimant or defendant.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 8 June 2022
During this webinar we discussed:
Damages Claims Portal (DCP):
• Recent changes to the DCP.
• Updated practice direction.
• ‘Go-live’ date postponed for defendant legal representatives, what does this mean?
Increasingly prevalent coverage issues:
• Direct versus Driver on Cover (DOC) insurers.
• More motor versus employer liability cases.
• Practical approaches to take with both.
Damages Claims Portal mandatory for defendants from 2 June - 26 May 2022
During this interactive webinar our speakers will be looking at the practical implications of the DCP. They will discuss:
• What is the DCP?
• Which claims does it apply to?
• What do you need to know before 2 June?
• Key takeaways and predictions for the future of the DCP.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 11 May 2022
Following suggestions from our previous session, we covered the subject of claims inflation. We drew on experts from our volume motor space, high value motor claims, costs and the Celtic jurisdictions, who considered various aspects of claims inflation and suggested areas of potential mitigation.
Research on driver distraction: applying theory to practice - 5 May 2022
Dr Gemma Briggs, Senior Lecturer in Psychology, Open University and expert in driver distraction, joined Kennedys' Senior Associate Russell Hall to discuss how driver distraction from phone use plays out in real life scenarios, how theory relates to practice and how phone use affects the outcome of cases both in terms of sentence and charges brought against distracted drivers.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 27 April 2022
During this webinar, our expert speakers gave their insights on the most recent publication of official data from the OIC, with a focus on the following areas:
• Are claims volumes what we would expect them to be?
• Claims lifecycle – why so slow?
• Injury types beyond whiplash.
• Early analysis of settlement data.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 13 April 2022
During this webinar our expert speakers focused on the Judicial College Guidelines new 16th edition, discussing:
• The main points of change to the guidelines.
• Practical ramifications - offers and judicial approach.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 30 March 2022
During this webinar we discussed three hot topics:
- Tactical and practical tips for MoJ Stage 2 and Stage 3 - we answered the questions and tactical points raised following our successful Stage 3 mock trial such as drafting in Stage 2 packs, current judicial attitudes, intervention letters on rehabilitation and enclosing documents.
- The release of part two of the whiplash consultation.
- Practice direction relating to the Damages Claims Pilot.
What role does the law play in managing distracted driving? - 24 March 2022
In this webinar, Dr Gemma Briggs, Senior Lecturer in Psychology, Open University and expert in driver distraction joined Kennedys' Partner Naomi North and Senior Associate Russell Hall to discuss the limitations of current law, whether the law goes far enough to deter drivers from using mobile phones when driving and whether the forthcoming changes to the law will likely make a difference.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 16 March 2022
During this webinar we welcomed Barristers from Kings Chambers who guided us through an MOJ mock trial using working examples.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 2 March 2022
During this webinar our expert speakers gave a case summary on the recent judgment in Greyson v Fuller, relating to disclosure of medical reports within the MOJ Portal, and also discussed its implications on MOJ claims.
Mobile telephones: distraction and drivers - 24 February 2022
During this webinar attendees gained an understanding of latest research into the effects of driver distraction from mobile telephones and how these issues play out in serious collision cases.
Dr Gemma Briggs, Senior Lecturer in Psychology, Open University and expert in driver distraction joined Kennedys' Partner Naomi North and Senior Associate Russell Hall to discuss motivations, behaviours and outcomes, and covered the basics of research findings on phone use by drivers.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 16 February 2022
During this webinar our expert speakers discussed:
Low velocity impact claims -
- A fraud perspective.
- Cases specific to LVI.
- LVI claims in the OIC - our predictions.
The Law Commissions’ joint report on the safe introduction of self-driving vehicles -
- Initial thoughts on the report.
- The difference between ‘driver assisted’ and ‘self-driving’ vehicles.
- Minimum safety standards.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - The Highway Code Changes - 2 February 2022
During this webinar our expert speakers explored the changes that are being made to The Highway Code from Saturday 29 January. They discussed how these changes are likely to effect the motor industry and what claims trends they may expect to see emerge.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 19 January 2022
As more claims move through the OIC process new data is emerging on lifecycle times and nature of injuries.
During this webinar, Karim Derrick, Product and Innovation Director and Mike Gilpin, Commercial Director at Kennedys IQ joined Ian Davies to discuss some of the insights that the Kennedys IQ team are able to extract using the advanced analysis and artificial intelligence tools available within the IQ Platform.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 15 December 2021
During this webinar our panellists reviewed the motor industry in 2021 and looked ahead to 2022 and discussed some headline cases from the year and a range of topics including:
- Higher value cases.
- The changing nature of motor risks and motor insurance.
- The continued impact of COVID-19 including Court delays and remote hearings.
- OIC and MOJ.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 1 December 2021
During this webinar our speakers discussed the recent Court of Appeal decision in Campbell v Advantage including:
- Facts of the case.
- The judgement (with review of case law).
- Learning points for handling cases involving passengers accepting lifts with drunk drivers.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 24 November 2021
During this webinar our expert speakers discussed:
- Coverage issues – a changing approach?
- The law and background.
- Excluded use arguments in particular.
- Practical considerations and approach.
- Case examples.
Motor prosecution webinar - 16 November 2021
The webinar aimed to highlight some of the recent trends in investigations and prosecutions and the knock on effect for any subsequent civil claim.
During this webinar our expert speakers explored a range of topics that could affect insurers, brokers and fleets.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 10 November 2021
During this webinar our speakers discussed costs and Part 36 offers including:
- Content and format of Part 36 offers.
- Relevant timescales.
- Implications within the MOJ.
- Practical handling considerations.
- Supreme Court Adelekun judgement.
- Interlocutory costs orders.
- Late acceptance of Part 36 deterrent.
- Costs of detailed assessments.
- Potential rule changes.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 27 October 2021
During this webinar we offered thoughts and observations on the official OIC portal data released on the 21 October and provided some more detailed analysis from our own data.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 13 October 2021
During this webinar we focussed on inquests, what they are and how they have changed in recent years. We also took a closer look at the value in insurers/handlers playing a more active role in inquests and offering representation to their drivers who have been involved in fatal collisions.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 29 September 2021
As the team received numerous questions on the OIC data throughout Motor Webinar Wednesdays, our speakers discussed:
- Who are the claims coming from?
- What do the LiP rates tell us?
- Exceptional severity – a bigger problem than we first thought?
- Other injuries – how common is the pure "whiplash" claim?
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 15 September 2021
During our first webinar after the summer break we explored the very recently announced result of the fixed recoverable costs consultation and what that means for the new “intermediate track” of claims between £25,000 - £100,000.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 14 July 2021
During this webinar we looked back on what has happened in the motor industry in the last six months. We opened the session with an overview of the early trends we are seeing in the OIC and how it is likely to play out in the future. We also looked at what the second half of 2021 may bring as lockdown restrictions are lifted and the impact this may have.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 23 June 2021
During this webinar our expert speakers discussed:
- Excluded use arguments on motor policies.
- A market overview now OIC claims are starting to come through.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 2 June
OIC - hot topics and burning questions
As a preview to the launch of our anticipated Official Injury Claim: A Practitioner’s Guide we ran an interactive panel session where our experts and authors covered the frequently asked questions we have been receiving from our clients and also went over any hot topics which we have featured in our new guide.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 26 May 2021
During this session our expert speakers discussed the new OIC costs and the likely approach to the new OIC small claims hearings.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 19 May 2021
As the countdown to the 31 May continues our expert speakers focused on the two recent releases of key information: the long awaited Guide for Litigants in Person and draft directions.
Whiplash reforms - Impact on Scotland, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland claims - 12 May 2021
During this webinar experts from our Belfast, Dublin and Edinburgh offices discussed the whiplash reforms in England and Wales, and looked at similar claims in their jurisdictions and what impact further reforms may have.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 21 April 2021
The seventh webinar in our bi-weekly series where guest speaker Matthew Maxwell Scott, Executive Director, Association of Consumer Support Organisations, along with Ian Davies, discussed the whiplash reforms from a claimant, rehabilitation and credit hire market perspective and what behaviours they are expecting to see from claimant firms in the future.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 31 March 2021
During our sixth Motor Webinar Wednesday we held a credit hire mock trial with guests speakers from Parklane Plowden Chambers. We demonstrate a working example of what happens in these types of hearings.
Local authority whiplash reforms webinar - 23 March 2021
What do the new rules mean for local authorities?
We are delighted to have held our local authority whiplash reforms webinar on Tuesday 23 March. New rules that provide the framework underpinning the whiplash reforms and use of the new online portal have been published, our motor specialists discussed what this will mean for local authorities.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 17 March 2021
Following on from the 5 March Motor Webinar Special where our panellists discussed the whiplash reforms, our panel are back to answer the questions submitted during the webinar and also cover the wealth of additional questions we have received since.
Motor Webinar Special - 5 March 2021
Our Motor Webinar Special focused on the whiplash reforms update with our panel of Kennedys' experts considering the implications of these new rules and discussing the potential impact on the motor industry.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 3 March 2021
Small claims mock trial
We are delighted to have held the fourth webinar of our bi-weekly series.
Continuing on from the success of our previous MOJ Stage 3 mock trial we welcomed Barristers from St Johns Chambers who guided us through a working example of what happens during small claims hearings.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 17 February 2021
We are delighted to have held the third webinar in our biweekly series for 2021. Following the success of our MOJ Stage 3 mock trial, during this webinar we returned to the issues raised and the numerous questions we received. We also welcomed back Simon Young from Kings Chambers who gave his expert input on some of the queries raised.
During this session the questions we covered were not reliant on having witnessed the mock hearing. The focus was on tactical questions and common arguments such as:
- Can I attach documents and what if they don’t appear on the CPP?
- PSLA awards:
- How do we support arguments in Stage 2?
- JCG and reported cases – do they have much influence?
- Multi-site injuries - what uplift does the court apply?
- Travel anxiety – too minor to be considered?
- Intervention and Copley letters on physio and rehab:
- Why do our offers fail so often?
- Do courts approach these in a consistent manner?
- Miscellaneous expenses – how can these best be defeated?
- Do the judges honestly not open the sealed offer letters?
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 3 February 2021
MOJ stage 3 mock-trial
We are delighted to have held the second webinar in our biweekly series for 2021.
During this webinar we ran a virtual MOJ stage 3 mock-trial with guests speakers from Kings Chambers. We gave an experience of the submissions made by counsel for either party and judgement, which demonstrated a working example of what happens in these types of hearings.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 20 January 2021
We are delighted to have held the first webinar in our bi weekly series for 2021. During this webinar our expert speakers covered the current hot topics affecting the motor industry including:
- Whiplash reforms