Local authority webinar - 25 February 2021
Ransomware: response and personal data considerations
We are delighted to have held our first local authority webinar of 2021 on Thursday 25 February. In the past 12 months, the cyber landscape has been dominated by ransomware and a number of local authorities have unfortunately fallen victim to these sophisticated attacks.
Our experts will simulate the response to a ransomware attack, using their unique experience in dealing with dozens of high profile attacks. They will explore the immediate steps that need to be taken, look at the practicalities of managing an incident, and consider the exposures resulting from the associated risks to personal data.
Fraudulent claims - going to trial webinar - 24 February 2021
We are delighted to have held the second webinar of our continuing monthly fraud webinar series for 2021 in which we have been following the stages of the fraud process from detection to deterrence.
In this webinar our speakers, Zoe Alexander, Senior Associate, Kennedys and Mark Roberts, Counsel, 7 Harrington Street Chambers, focused on how a trial can be used positively as part of your fraud strategies. This webinar included:
- What happens in the lead up to a trial.
- The trial itself - virtual and in-person.
- How fraudsters run risk in the face of a trial.
- How do fraudsters behave at trials?
- What to do when the unexpected happens.
EL/PL webinar - 23 February 2021
COVID-19 - Global vaccinations
We are delighted to have held our employers' liability and public liability webinar, where we welcomed speakers from the US, Europe and India who discussed how the COVID-19 vaccine has been rolled out and managed within their jurisdictions.
Our global panel, chaired by Kennedys partner James Shrimpton, discussed:
- The time line of the vaccine roll out and the different priority access levels within their countries.
- EL/PL claims in their different jurisdictions.
- Employer enforcement - can an employer enforce the vaccination on their staff and what the implications are of this.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 17 February 2021
We are delighted to have held the third webinar in our biweekly series for 2021. Following the success of our MOJ Stage 3 mock trial, during this webinar we returned to the issues raised and the numerous questions we received. We also welcomed back Simon Young from Kings Chambers who gave his expert input on some of the queries raised.
During this session the questions we covered were not reliant on having witnessed the mock hearing. The focus was on tactical questions and common arguments such as:
- Can I attach documents and what if they don’t appear on the CPP?
- PSLA awards:
- How do we support arguments in Stage 2?
- JCG and reported cases – do they have much influence?
- Multi-site injuries - what uplift does the court apply?
- Travel anxiety – too minor to be considered?
- Intervention and Copley letters on physio and rehab:
- Why do our offers fail so often?
- Do courts approach these in a consistent manner?
- Miscellaneous expenses – how can these best be defeated?
- Do the judges honestly not open the sealed offer letters?
Proposed reform of County Court civil jurisdiction in Northern Ireland webinar - 12 February 2021
What insurers need to know
The Justice Minister for Northern Ireland has launched a public consultation on increasing the general civil jurisdiction of the country courts in Northern Ireland.
We are delighted to have held our webinar where our expert speakers discussed:
- The impact of the consultation in light of the current civil justice landscape.
- How the outcome could significantly impact the way claims in Northern Ireland are litigated.
- How insurers can start to prepare for the outcome.
The consultation goes further than previous recommendations, with the Department of Justice putting forward two options:
- Option one - increase in county court jurisdiction to £60,000, with an increase in the jurisdiction of district judges to £20,000.
- Option two - increase in county court jurisdiction to £100,000, with an increase in the jurisdiction of district judges to £35,000.
Our speakers considered the implications of both of the above options.
Live launch of the fourth edition of Kennedys' claims handling guide - 11 February 2021
In this event we celebrated the launch of the latest edition of Kennedys’ Claims Handling Law and Practice: A Practitioner’s Guide, where we discussed some of the key opportunities and threats facing the claims handling profession.
Motor Webinar Wednesdays - 3 February 2021
MOJ stage 3 mock-trial
We are delighted to have held the second webinar in our biweekly series for 2021.
During this webinar we ran a virtual MOJ stage 3 mock-trial with guests speakers from Kings Chambers. We gave an experience of the submissions made by counsel for either party and judgement, which demonstrated a working example of what happens in these types of hearings.