12/02/2021 9:30 AM
Proposed reform of County Court civil jurisdiction in Northern Ireland webinar
The Justice Minister for Northern Ireland has launched a public consultation on increasing the general civil jurisdiction of the country courts in Northern Ireland.
Our expert speakers discussed:
- The impact of the consultation in light of the current civil justice landscape.
- How the outcome could significantly impact the way claims in Northern Ireland are litigated.
- How insurers can start to prepare for the outcome.
The consultation goes further than previous recommendations, with the Department of Justice putting forward two options:
- Option one - increase in county court jurisdiction to £60,000, with an increase in the jurisdiction of district judges to £20,000.
- Option two - increase in county court jurisdiction to £100,000, with an increase in the jurisdiction of district judges to £35,000.
Our speakers considered the implications of both of the above options.