- Defended the insured in one of the largest personal injury claims in Singapore following a road accident, which left the plaintiff in a persistent vegetative state. The final award on appeal remained under $1million despite the plaintiff’s arguments for a claim in excess of $8 million.
- Instructed counsel in one of Singapore’s largest claim for damages arising out a road accident involving a plaintiff with a “Locked-In Syndrome”. Issue was one of causation of injuries and to determine if the stroke preceded the accident. Settled favourably in favour of the client.
- Defended a well-known country club insured against a claim for damages in the High Court for a fatal injury sustained during a lightning strike.
- Defended a public liability claim in the High Court involving a serious injury sustained to a worker of one the sub-contractors while on the premises of the insured. The insured was a well-known international company dealing in food and beverages in Asia.
- Defended the insured in a large whiplash claim where the Plaintiff claimed damages in excess of $5 million for loss of income from projected commission losses as a property agent. Successful in negotiating a settlement within the given mandate from the insurer.
- Acted for the insurer in an Arbitration involving a claim by an insured on a fire policy for consequential losses resulting from its tyre warehouse fire. The major issue was the definition of “consequential” and what damages would be considered as remote in a volatile economic climate. Damages exceeded $10 million. Negotiated a settlement to a lesser amount.
- Represented the insured in a landmark case decided it the Court of Appeal which redefined the categories of sentences for causing death by a negligent act under Section 304(A) of the Penal Code.
- Acted for the defendant insured in the High Court in a serious personal injury claim by a passenger on board a marine vessel in the excess of $1 million. Plaintiff failed to disclose documents relating to a subsequent accident that prejudiced the defendant’s insurer’s opportunity to meet and adequately investigate the current claim. The claim was dismissed with costs as a result.
- Defended insureds in several large personal injury claims arising from industrial and motor accidents in the High Court and on appeal.
Akram joined Kennedys Legal Solutions as a Partner in 2018. He has over 20 years’ of experience and is a well regarded insurance specialist who is often called upon by his clients for advice on negotiations on complex personal injury claims. He is known for providing timely and practical advice to assist clients in negotiating a fair settlement while managing legal costs for his clients.
Akram is part of the Inquiry panel of the Law Society and also a tutor with the Singapore Institute of Legal Education where he tutors civil file management and family law to students as part of their course to be called to the Singapore Bar.
He acts for insurers and regularly advises on policy and other issues relating to all tiers of insurance litigation involving personal injury or death, claims arising from fire, public liability insurance, industrial accidents, medical negligence and motor accidents.