- Handled D&O claims arising out of Lava Jato, a corruption investigation in Brazil that has seen ex-presidents found guilty of corruption, sitting presidents impeached, and the leaders of its biggest industries jailed.
- Handled D&O claim arising out of the Samarco dam burst, the biggest environmental disaster in Brazil’s history.
- Handled D&O claim arising out of the criminal investigation of Peru’s largest real estate and construction group and the subsequent securities class action filed by foreign investors in the US.
- Handled D&O claim arising out of a securities class action filed by foreign investors in the US against the largest real estate development firm in Argentina.
- Qualified in New York and Florida
Javier is a Senior Associate in Kennedys’ Miami office. First starting with Kennedys as a trainee in 2015, Javier is qualified to practice in New York and Florida and specializes in Latin American and Caribbean claims.
Javier has represented insurers and reinsurers in relation to construction, civil liability, property and casualty claims. He specializes in financial lines with a particular emphasis on directors’ and officers’ (D&O) insurance. Javier is also actively developing cyber insurance in the region, having worked on wordings specifically for Latin America and also by serving on the cyber breach response teams for a number of carriers.
Specifically in D&O, Javier has handled a number of large losses throughout Latin America. These losses are usually tied back to the US via investor class action lawsuits. High profile cases include the Samarco dam burst in Brazil, the criminal investigation into the largest real estate and construction firm in Peru, and the Lava Jato corruption scandal that originated in Brazil but has reverberated throughout the region.
Javier is a native English and Spanish speaker and is also proficient in Portuguese. He is an active participant in Kennedys’ Ideas Lab initiative and his idea for developing a product for cyber insurers and reinsurers was chosen by Kennedys to advance to the next stage of the project.