- Recommended lawyer for 'City focus: Miami (Miami)'
"Alex Guillamont leads the Latin America team and has wide experience including recent hurricane-related losses, cyber claims and political and trade risks."
The Legal 500 Latin America 2021
- “Incredibly hard working, he has built Kennedys Miami network from scratch. He's practical, has excellent knowledge of local markets, and of both of the carrier and jurisdiction. He is pragmatic in his approach and competitive price-wise.”
The Gracechurch London Market Insurance Law Report 2019
- Notable practitioner (Band 1) for 'Insurance' (LATAM wide)
"He works tirelessly. You can call him at any time and you'll get a response."; "clever, quick and always to the point"; "a clear name in the region";
Chambers Latin America 2020
"The Kennedys offering is integrated as a Latin American function; it helps to have people there with more local knowledge of markets and jurisdictions."
Chambers Latin America 2020
- “Department head Alex Guillamont is highly sought after by clients for his "professional, knowledgeable and efficient service."
Chambers Global Guide and Latin America Guide 2018
- "Is pragmatic and very thorough without being too focused on the details".
- Clients highlight their appreciation for his "accessibility, commercial approach and knowledge of the region."
Chambers Latin America 2017
- Ranked year on year in LatAm Insurance Review Power 50 list—snapshot of most influential professionals
- Co-founder of Miami LatAm Claims (Re)Insurance Forum running annually since 2015: https://kennedyslaw.com/event/MiamiForum2018/
- Founder of Miami Insurance Professionals: https://insuranceprofessionalsmiami.com/
Alex leads the seven-office 60-lawyer strong Latin American and Caribbean practice at Kennedys from our hub in Miami. He is qualified in Spain (1999) and England and Wales (2003).
He has close to 20 years of experience handling disputes on behalf of leading international insurers and (re)insurers involving major property and energy losses, complex liability, environmental and natural disasters, CAR, surety, political and trade risk, financial institutions and D&O claims, cyber, regulatory compliance and third party administration schemes in the entire region.
Alex and his team of lawyers advise carriers on regulatory issues and strategic deployment of offices, wordings and claims protocols including cyber, audits of ceding companies and underwriting agents. Recent appointments include construction and property cases arising out of IRMA and MARIA hurricanes in the Caribbean and El Niño Costero in Peru, cyber-related claims protocols and wordings throughout the region, project cargo in Peru, political and trade risks matters in Bolivia and Ecuador, and D&O & BBB in Brazil and Venezuela.
Alex frequently speaks at in-house carrier seminars and training workshops, and recognized Latin American & Caribbean industry events, most recently the V Latin American Conference of Marine Insurance in Lima, Peru; the Miami PLUS (Professional Liability Underwriting Society) Event on Cyber in the region and the D&O Liability Insurance Forum in London.
Alex works indistinctively in English and Spanish, and is conversational in Portuguese and French.
Alex regularly volunteers at the Redemptoris Mater Seminary in Miami where he seats at the Board of Trustees and Financial Council. He is an avid kayaker and snorkler in the Florida Keys.
- Qualified in Spain in 1999
- Qualified in England and Wales in 2003
- Foreign Legal Consultant, not authorized to practice Florida law; per The Florida BAR