- Successful defence of Arbitration proceedings against Insurers relating to a cladding exclusion in a Construction Professional Liability Policy. Underlying cladding claim excluded was estimated to exceed £5m.
- Acted for one of 13 law firms and barristers in defence of a claim by a serial litigant in person, recently struck out by the High Court: https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/serial-lip-with-conspiracy-claims-against-13-lawyers-is-ordered-to-stop/5110273.article
- Successful defence of an urgent application for a mandatory injunction against a fraud prevention service association. Applicant was ordered to pay 100% of our client’s costs.
- Successful defence of architects at trial in the TCC against allegations of negligently designing the roof to an office block.
- Successful strike out of parts of claim against solicitors arising from advice relating to the purchase and renovation of a former MOD property, including a finding that the duty of a conveyancing solicitor did not extend to advising on the commercial risk of the transaction.
- Successful defence of a £2.5m claim against an accountant acting as Trustee in Bankruptcy. Allegations included that he sold property at a significant undervalue and made payments to parties with no valid claim in the bankruptcy. The Claimant was persuaded to discontinue his claim with no damages being paid.
- Currently defending a firm of solicitors in relation to claims involving allegations that a former solicitor employee was involved in organised mortgage fraud. Substantial losses claimed.
- Defending accountants and business growth advisers against a number of claims arising from introducing clients to a business growth strategy ran by independent specialists. Raises complex issues of scope of duty, tax and causation.
- Resolution of a +£2m multi-party dispute arising out of the design of an Academy School Building, acting for the architects.
Sarah is a Legal Director based in Kennedys’ Manchester office. She has been involved in professional indemnity work since 1997, initially working as a claims handler in a specialist professional indemnity broking team before qualifying as a solicitor in 2001. She joined Kennedys in 2011.
Her practice focuses on defending complex claims against a number of ‘traditional’ professions, with considerable experience of mediation and litigation through to trial.
Sarah regularly defends solicitors in a wide range of claims, including those arising from alleged mortgage fraud, wills and the administration of estates, disappointed beneficiary claims, conveyancing transactions and previously failed litigation. She is managing a scheme dealing with a major insurers’ MDR claims work. She also specialises in defending claims against accountants and tax advisers, particularly in relation to tax mitigation advice.
Sarah has extensive experience of acting for construction professionals (particularly architects and engineers) in claims arising from subsidence following geotechnical appraisal, design and construction of swimming pools, a number of claims involving defective roofs, drainage, extensions and alterations to properties, structural decking and natural ventilation systems. In addition, Sarah is experienced in defending surveyors and insurance brokers and advises on policy coverage issues.
Sarah regularly gives training seminars and webinars to insurers, brokers and insureds and has completed a secondment with a professional indemnity insurer client.